New to salt/Just beginning research

lisrisch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m here to begin my research for entering the saltwater/reef aquarium hobby. My husband and I purchased a handful of used tanks over the weekend from someone who is moving. DH gets a 75 gallon and plans to make it a planted tank, while I get a 60 cube and think I want to venture into salt.

Past experience: I’ve kept cichlids in the past and currently we have a planted tank with betta/neons in a 20 hex. My husband has kept salt tanks about a decade ago, but since this is “my” tank, I’d like to gather my own base of knowledge.

The filter that came with this tank is a Marineland TS3. While the previous owner said he never used it, it’s clear there’s media residue inside it. Any thoughts on this filter?

I will need to get a new stand prior to setting up the tank due to water damage on the . The back and bottom are warped so that they bow out, the stand wobbles, and the doors do not open properly (especially with a full tank on top). I have a local fish store that quoted ~$290 for a Marineland Ventura stand, which is what I found it for online as well. I’m happy to support my local store.

The previous owner installed bulkheads into the back of the tank. They appear to be watertight, as I let the tank sit completely filled overnight and everything was dry in the morning.

The plan for the RO is to connect it to a splitter for the washing machine.

The big question is: What do you wish you could t

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Good luck with your new aquariums!

8C706A1F-1EA9-4215-B030-71E922BAB349.gif

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m here to begin my research for entering the saltwater/reef aquarium hobby. My husband and I purchased a handful of used tanks over the weekend from someone who is moving. DH gets a 75 gallon and plans to make it a planted tank, while I get a 60 cube and think I want to venture into salt.

Past experience: I’ve kept cichlids in the past and currently we have a planted tank with betta/neons in a 20 hex. My husband has kept salt tanks about a decade ago, but since this is “my” tank, I’d like to gather my own base of knowledge.

The filter that came with this tank is a Marineland TS3. While the previous owner said he never used it, it’s clear there’s media residue inside it. Any thoughts on this filter?

I will need to get a new stand prior to setting up the tank due to water damage on the . The back and bottom are warped so that they bow out, the stand wobbles, and the doors do not open properly (especially with a full tank on top). I have a local fish store that quoted ~$290 for a Marineland Ventura stand, which is what I found it for online as well. I’m happy to support my local store.

The previous owner installed bulkheads into the back of the tank. They appear to be watertight, as I let the tank sit completely filled overnight and everything was dry in the morning.

Welcome aboard...
If the tank is reef ready I'd ditch that filter and go with a sump. I have a 60 cube behind me and use this sump:

Fits perfect in my stand that I built. You can find that in my build thread for that tank. Prior to salt I did cichlids as well, whole new world here but you came to the right place for help and advice.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sure you are going to get the same answer and don't go canister filter for a saltwater tank. Get a sump and go from there for filtration. Welcome to the hobby! Ask lots of questions, we are all here to help!

Welcome to R2R!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Welcome! It sounds like you and your husband are in for some fun. Just remember to take it slow.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drilling the tank and adding a sump, return pump, over flow box and protein skimmer is ideal. keeps all the equipment out of the display.
If you don’t want to get into all that, i’d recommend a hang on back protein skimmer like this one HOB Skimmer
heater, and two 400-600 gallon per hour power head circulation pumps.

Start with 40-50 pounds of real ocean live rock as a base for your biological filtration and substrate for coral. KP aquatics has their “starter rock” that’s great. This rock will create a new little ecosystem in the tank. The dead rock alternative, while cheaper, misses out on tons of micro and macro life that creates a food web and provides lots of detritus eaters. one of my favorite parts of the hobby is just watching and discovering all the little critters that come with the rock. Most are beneficial, some that aren’t can be mitigated.

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. This video series is “5 minute guide”, good info. BRS TV has lots of different series.

Here’s a getting the most out of Reef2Reef link

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back