New to Salt. Recommendations for equipment.

PlagueisDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm new to the saltwater side of the hobby and have no idea where to start. I recently purchased a Aqueon 29 gallon standard during Petco's dollar/gallon sale.

I'm wanting to do everything as cheap as possible, but still have good and reliable equipment. My current plan is to run two Aquaclear 70s (maybe with the refugium mod on one or both) and two Orlushy 100w Heaters as these look like they can fit in the hob filters.

As stated, I only have the tank right now and want to price everything out before diving in.

Recommendation on filters, heaters, lights, wave makers, skimmers, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

My goal is to have softies and lps coral at first with a couple clowns and maybe a few smaller fish that this tank could accommodate. I'm wanting to do about 30 lbs. of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand to start it off.

Thanks in advance!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For inexpensive reliable powerheads.
Go korallia they will outlive your tank. If go for the nanos pick the largest size as they produce less flow than they state.

https://pacificeastaquaculture.com/...-of-ocean-revive-artic-t247-led-light-fixture are a solid light option

you could go skimmerless on a 29 gallon. And just do water changes, spending the money instead on a few pumps and tubing and maybe 7-10 gallon bucket to make this easier.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get good LEDs on Ebay, recommend AI Hydra 26 or 52, (26 has 2 pucks and 52 has 3)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
I have a 20g I use as a rock nem tank.
A Jebao OW10 is what I use for a power head. I have an AI Prime light.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a heater the eheim are really nice. I did the same as you with a 29 aqueon. Going the cheapest possible but without sacrificing quality. I wouldnt buy the cheapest since you might end up replacing the equipment since it keeps breaking i went with tunze power heads but the koralia are nice too. For lights i went with ai primes which i found on sale on brs for 164 each i think it was. But for 210 they are still good too. For a screen top just buy the mesh from brs for 10$ and use a wire frame kit for a window from menards. You dont have to buy every all at once. I didnt add my lights and a skimmer until maybe 6 months after i was done cycling

“live rock” is pretty hard to find these days and will be expensive. I would just get 40 pounds of marco dry rock very cheap and becomes “live in 3 months”.

for test kits the salifert are really nice for magnesium and calc. Also alk. For nitrate nyos.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a heater the eheim are really nice. I did the same as you with a 29 aqueon. Going the cheapest possible but without sacrificing quality. I wouldnt buy the cheapest since you might end up replacing the equipment since it keeps breaking i went with tunze power heads but the koralia are nice too. For lights i went with ai primes which i found on sale on brs for 164 each i think it was. But for 210 they are still good too. For a screen top just buy the mesh from brs for 10$ and use a wire frame kit for a window from menards. You dont have to buy every all at once. I didnt add my lights and a skimmer until maybe 6 months after i was done cycling

“live rock” is pretty hard to find these days and will be expensive. I would just get 40 pounds of marco dry rock very cheap and becomes “live in 3 months”.

for test kits the salifert are really nice for magnesium and calc. Also alk. For nitrate nyos.

I agree here.. Amazon Dry Rock is $55 bucks for 40lbs. Clean it well, and let it cycle in the tank with some healthy bacteria, saltwater (obviously) a heater and a power head. After a few months the rock will become “live rock” which is a good time to introduce a pair of clown fish. During this “cycle time” save up a buy a decent light when it’s time..
Are you able to add a sump?

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree here.. Amazon Dry Rock is $55 bucks for 40lbs. Clean it well, and let it cycle in the tank with some healthy bacteria, saltwater (obviously) a heater and a power head. After a few months the rock will become “live rock” which is a good time to introduce a pair of clown fish. During this “cycle time” save up a buy a decent light when it’s time..
Are you able to add a sump?
If op does add a sump the eshopps over flow for 110 is a good option paired with a sicce .5 syncra and a 10g tank. All can be done for maybe 220$ including plumbing if done correctly. I highly recomend adding a sump
F4240EEF-EA6B-4C0B-93C6-3B4C058AB569.jpeg
D1C53B2F-DAD7-4582-91C6-4F4B645CA4A2.jpeg

OP
OP
P

PlagueisDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. I think i will go with Amazon dry rock and cycle for a few months to get "live" rock ready for fish. I have not thought about a sump. Would a 10 gallon sump be better and cheaper than running two Aquaclear 70s?

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. I think i will go with Amazon dry rock and cycle for a few months to get "live" rock ready for fish. I have not thought about a sump. Would a 10 gallon sump be better and cheaper than running two Aquaclear 70s?
Wouldnt be cheaper but would be much better than two aquaclears. If your stand can account it would be very nice. You would have room for a skimmer, even refugium. And it would add water volume to your system. Two aquaclear 70 would be around 100$ and for 110 you can buy the eshopps overflow 600gph
Use a 10g for a sump buy a gate valve and unions for around 20$ online. If you have the money if would he highly useful if you ever upgrade your tank since you will have the existing equipment to upgrade

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Erick, I’m new to the saltwater side of the hobby & his advice mirrors the plan I have for my tank. Slow & steady she goes.

I’m thinking of installing an AutoAqua Smart ATO & either upgrade my stock MightSmart 326 pump or adding a Jebao SLW wavemaker while the tank cycles over the next few months.

Lights, fish / CUC & skimmer will come last in that order.

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
P

PlagueisDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eshopps overflow 600gph
Use a 10g for a sump buy a gate valve and unions for around 20$ online. If you have the money if would he highly useful if you ever upgrade your tank since you will have the existing equipment to upgrade

Thanks for the help. Current plan is to use an Eclipse S Overflow box on the 29 gallon tank with a 10 gallon as a sump. Thinking about using the Bubblefin Regugium Kit in the 10 gallon tank, a Waterproof 100W Refugium Light, Jaebo DCP-2500 pump, and two Orlushy 100W Heaters. Any recommendations on a return kit?

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply has some really videos on plumbing in their brs 160 series. I would just reference that.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may want to check out this YouTube series for ideas for a low budget build:

Good luck!

chad vossen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. Current plan is to use an Eclipse S Overflow box on the 29 gallon tank with a 10 gallon as a sump. Thinking about using the Bubblefin Regugium Kit in the 10 gallon tank, a Waterproof 100W Refugium Light, Jaebo DCP-2500 pump, and two Orlushy 100W Heaters. Any recommendations on a return kit?
Had to look up that bubblefin refuge kit, that's pretty slick.
Here's a link if anyone else wants to check it out. https://amzn.to/39aSyu6

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I have a 40 g breeder with a 20 g sump/refugium, which is fun... It allows more volume and an internal skimmer, which is nice. Never used a hob skimmer but I'd be a little nervous of leaking.

I consider an rodi unit and an auto top off (ato) a necessity (for me). If I had to choose between a sump vs an ato, I'd take the ato tbh. Something like the tunze nano would be fine for your size aquarium.

John Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summer is coming. I am not sure if you need a cooler but here's an idea.
I have three computer fans blowing across the water surface of my 120 gal 4x2x2 tank. I have let the temperature in the house go up to 94°F in the summer and the tank will stay under 81°F. Note that you will lose a lot of water through evaporation. I have to top-off 2-3 gal a day when it's hot. You can find computer fans for < $5 at a swap meet, $1 if you are lucky or it's free if you or your friends have an old desktop laying around. Another $2 for an AC/DC 12V power converter. Experiment with the pointing angle. Just don't let it drop in the tank :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy and welcome

Gennaio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome definitely check out the budget reef series and brs budget tank series on YouTube lots of great info for getting started

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back