New to saltwater Near Fredricksburg Virginia

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all and I joined Wamas and posted a message there. Will say this forum seems a lot more active then on that site.
We’re always here for you with lightning speed ;)

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all and I joined Wamas and posted a message there. Will say this forum seems a lot more active then on that site.
WAMAS member here... Remember R2R is international so you will naturally get 1000x's more traffic than a local clubs forum. However, your responses there will usually be very thoughtful and contextual to our area. The biggest benefit, besides local knowledge, is the ability to buy/sell/trade livestock or dry goods w/o worrying about shipping, shipping costs, tax, etc. We have some very cool tanks for when you're ready and a bunch of members in the southern part of NOVA. Members will usually offer you free starter frags and when covid is over, our frag swaps/quarterly meetings are the best! I'll venture over and check your thread out.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I’m NoVA...Gainesville,VA. Almost local :). There’s a few good LFS up this way, bit of a ride though. If you need anything, let me know!
Strangly enough and this is a small world but I think I know you. If I am right your a Vet as well as it seems to be a lover of reefs

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When in doubt, always go bigger, lol. I started off thinking 50 gallon, ended up with 70g. Already planning my upgrade to 120 or 150g :).
I would but I had originally wanted to start at 13 gallons and then my plans have gone from there. Plus someone I know is already concerned on how much power running a reef tank will cost. At least at 50 will give some wiggle room on how fast water can change from good to bad.

jmart129

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason bigger is better especially starting off is because the more water volume you have then then the more cushion you have when you make a mistake... I did a 5g water change on my 29g nano and mixed up the rodi and salt water buckets and crashed my tank if I had 150g tank and made that mistake I probably wouldn’t of even noticed. Now I use different buckets and check salinity like 10x and alk a few times

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason bigger is better especially starting off is because the more water volume you have then then the more cushion you have when you make a mistake... I did a 5g water change on my 29g nano and mixed up the rodi and salt water buckets and crashed my tank if I had 150g tank and made that mistake I probably wouldn’t of even noticed. Now I use different buckets and check salinity like 10x and alk a few times
Agreed! Plus there’s more room for all those SPS I keep buying...I’m an addict. And the rock flower anemone, then there’s all those pretty torches. And my 2” clam is going to grow. That Cade 1500 is looking pretty good about now.....

MZReef120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome! I'm from the southern Maryland and travel into Northern Virginia for a couple stores. I'm still exploring my options but my favorite so far for corals and inverts is Supreme Reefs in Fairfax, Va. Cleanest place I've ever been into!

Nano925

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Glad to have you!

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back