New to saltwater

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's awsome. I'm deff gonna have to have a read on the web sites. I have been doing some reading but a lot of it seems greek to me. Lol I'm sure I will figure it out. Thanks for the help. I will post some pics as I go today.[/QUOTE

Welcome, pics would be nice.
And remember, it might be Greek to you but we are your Greek Gods.
Not sure where you're from but in most cases you have a local online club that can help out too.

Welcome to R2R!!! :D

No need to go to another site when all the info you need is here at R2R: How to set up a saltwater reef aquarium tank- REEFEDITION

Also check around the forums!

R2R is like a Marine bible online, LOL

Ok, took some time to read your thread and to see some of your pics.
You still have to do a lot of reading here, starting to read with the build threads would be the best bet for you.
Skimmers can be tricky, but oh so important to get it dialed in good.
Your skimmer seems to still breaking in. make sure that you not skimming to wet.
The stuff that you skimming off as of now is from your rock, to dirty rock can cause high PO4.
More rock is always better to control your balance but also for fish to hide and corals to grow on.
Not sure if you tested your water already but some # are important to know with a new setup, ALK, CAL, MAG, PO4, Nitrite, nitrate, ammonia and your salt level really important.
And remember: if you think you start slow.........go even slower.

Last edited:
OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amazing how nice and helpful everyone is. Tjis is making it a lot easier for me so thank you all. I'm from canada and live an hr south of Edmonton. What is ot that you would like pics of? I did post some of my tank and the sump earlier. Thanks again for the amazing advice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Take advantage f store sales, swap meets and forums you see on this site. You will get thru with much info and cheaply
Was thinking about 30-40 more lbs of rock for sure.

OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was doing some reading and I'm sure how my sump is suppose to be set up but I was considering putting some sand or rocks in it but a lil worried about sledge build up. Any advice. Or should I leave ot as is.

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand and rock is Ok, I would suggest adding a light then, you won't really have any detritus build up because you won't have any fish in there

OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all so I did a bit of stuff today on my tank. I added salt to my sump I took out the sponge and polywool and put in a carbon bag and a sock on my intake tube. For whatever reason now my light that wasn't working decided to work again. I'm assuming a bad connection somewhere. Has anything like that happened to you?? Also the changes that I made with my sump should be ok right?

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would say so, but for further notice I wouldn't just add salt to your tank, I know you have no fish do its ok right now but once you get live stock it can hurt them. And I wouldn't run carbon all the time, only a couple days a month or until your water clears up

OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks. I was curious tho once I have livestock and a salinity tester if I test the salt and need to add more how do I do that? I noticed I have some stuff growing on my rocks already hopfully its good stuff and I'm getting one step closer to finally having a fish instead of a bare tank. :)

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks. I was curious tho once I have livestock and a salinity tester if I test the salt and need to add more how do I do that? I noticed I have some stuff growing on my rocks already hopfully its good stuff and I'm getting one step closer to finally having a fish instead of a bare tank. :)

You should mix up the salt in a separate container, like a bucket. I usually let mine sit a little bit before I add it then I pour it into the tank. That way you can correct anything about the new water before it goes into the tank (temp, ph, salinity, alk, ca, mg, etc. if you're using a high quality salt mix, those parameters should be stable and be close to what the salt mix instructions say.

OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if you may know why my tank is covered in green algae? Making me mad. I tried cleaning it off the glass then it came on my rocks and now its all over my sand. Grrrrr about ready to give up.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Light and inorganics are the food source for algae. Is your tank by chance near a window or directly across a window where sunlight hits it? Also what type of lights are you using?? (try reducing the hours the lights are on).
Are you feeding yet? If so, cut back a tad and eliminate flakes for now. Lastly, get yourself some turbo snails, emerald crab, yellow eye kole tang and/or foxface Rabbit fish who are all great algae cleaners.

OP
OP
new2nemo

new2nemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont even have a fish or anything living yet except a few small rocks. My tank is across from the window but no sunlight hits it. I have metal halide lights and blue lights which are on a timer from 8-8 daily

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You don't need direct sunlight to cause this. Indirect window light does the same but try reducing light hours OR reduce Halides and leave on blues longer. Algae should subside. Turbo or astrea snails will keep them rocks and glass clean for you

DeepSeaIllusions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you do don't give up! It's just a stage that your tank is going through. Once you get the algae growth under control it will start disappearing before you know. At the moment there are a lot of nutrients in your water, which causes the algae growth.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back