New to Saltwater

LILPACONOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to know which of the following fish can live together, I have done plenty of research but wanted the insight of experienced hobbyists. My fish wishlist:

Rainfordi Goby (pair)

Purple dottyback

Ruby Red Dragonet

Cardinal (3)

Exquisite & Red Firefish

Starry Blenny

Royal Gramma

Red Fromia Starfish

Tailspot Blenny

Chalk Bass

Green Dragonet/mandarin Goby

Sea Slug

Carpenter Wrasse

Coral Beauty Angelfish

Yasha Shrimp Goby

Six Lines Wrasse

Springer Damsel

Azure Damselfish

Yellow Watchman Goby

Clownfish

Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse: 50$

Lyretail Anthias (female)

DragonFace Pipefish

Let me know which can coexist, and I am not adding all of these (obviously, but just want to know which can coexist) please let me know any other tips and tricks, have a great day!!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying the information in this link is perfect or everything you need, but i would start here and come up with a plan. There are countless combinations of those fish that can live together i think you will get more and better feedback if you come up with at least a narrowed down wishlist and ask if people think it will be ok. Will also help if you let people know the size and dimensions of the tank as that is a factor also.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty varied list, to say the least. What tank size are you contemplating?

Many of the species that you've listed are either noted for their aggression (translation: sixline wrasse) or delicate and exacting care requirements (pipefish). Chalk bass are great, but not colourful; firefish are beautiful, but can be skittish and are jumpers; dwarf angels really are not optimal nano tank inhabitants. I'd go with the starry blenny or the yellow watchman goby. The rest, though, need very careful consideration.

Upvote 0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t really give you a good recommendation without knowing the tank size and whether or not you plan to keep corals. Straight away I would take the starfish, ‘sea slug’ (that could be any number of things), and pipefish. I also probably scrap the dottyback (it will make keeping most of the other fish difficult), the six line wrasse is also in this camp, though to a lesser extent (I’ve got one in a 28g with a bangaii Cardinal, pink bar goby, and Tailspot Blenny, and everyone gets along great). A few of the fish are expert level and require mature, well established tanks. Would just need more info.

Upvote 0

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to know which of the following fish can live together, I have done plenty of research but wanted the insight of experienced hobbyists. My fish wishlist:

Rainfordi Goby (pair)

Purple dottyback

Ruby Red Dragonet

Cardinal (3)

Exquisite & Red Firefish

Starry Blenny

Royal Gramma

Red Fromia Starfish

Tailspot Blenny

Chalk Bass

Green Dragonet/mandarin Goby

Sea Slug

Carpenter Wrasse

Coral Beauty Angelfish

Yasha Shrimp Goby

Six Lines Wrasse

Springer Damsel

Azure Damselfish

Yellow Watchman Goby

Clownfish

Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse: 50$

Lyretail Anthias (female)

DragonFace Pipefish

Let me know which can coexist, and I am not adding all of these (obviously, but just want to know which can coexist) please let me know any other tips and tricks, have a great day!!
Best way is to save up and do all the fish at once.

However if you simply cannot wait. Research the fish. If peaceful do them first. If territorial or aggressive (damsel fish) add them last. If they go first they will claim a large territory of the tank and bully the others. If last they will claim a smaller portion of the tank and typically not bully as much.

Overstocking (kind of what your doing) tends to lower aggression as well.

All that being said:

10. Rainfordi Goby (pair)

11. Purple dottyback

12. Ruby Red Dragonet

3. Cardinal (3)

13. Exquisite & Red Firefish

4. Starry Blenny

5. Royal Gramma

14. Red Fromia Starfish

6. Tailspot Blenny (i would only do 1 blenny personally)

15.Chalk Bass

16. Green Dragonet/mandarin Goby

23. Sea Slug (you want to add after a few month after the last fish)

18. Carpenter Wrasse

17. Coral Beauty Angelfish

9. Yasha Shrimp Goby

7. Six Lines Wrasse

21. Springer Damsel

22. Azure Damselfish

8. Yellow Watchman Goby

1. Clownfish

19. Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse

20. Lyretail Anthias (female)

2. DragonFace Pipefish

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LILPACONOT

LILPACONOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

However if you simply cannot wait. Research the fish. If peaceful do them first. If territorial or aggressive (damsel fish) add them last. If they go first they will claim a large territory of the tank and bully the others. If last they will claim a smaller portion of the tank and typically not bully as much.

All that being said:

11. Purple dottyback

12. Ruby Red Dragonet

3. Cardinal (3)

4. Starry Blenny

5. Royal Gramma

14. Red Fromia Starfish

15.Chalk Bass

18. Carpenter Wrasse

9. Yasha Shrimp Goby

7. Six Lines Wrasse

21. Springer Damsel

22. Azure Damselfish

8. Yellow Watchman Goby

1. Clownfish

2. DragonFace Pipefish
Thank you so much, truth is, I wanted a bigger tank with lots of fish, so I chose smaller ones, it's about 80in of fish, but my tank is 100 gallons, and Live rock takes about 10-15 gallons away + Coral, all in all thanks so much for the advice, It's definitely help. Have a great day!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LILPACONOT

LILPACONOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All that being said:

11. Purple dottyback

12. Ruby Red Dragonet

3. Cardinal (3)

4. Starry Blenny

5. Royal Gramma

14. Red Fromia Starfish

15.Chalk Bass

18. Carpenter Wrasse

9. Yasha Shrimp Goby

7. Six Lines Wrasse

21. Springer Damsel

22. Azure Damselfish

8. Yellow Watchman Goby

1. Clownfish

2. DragonFace Pipefish
I've read that adding all at once may ruin your tank, due to the filters having to adjust to too much. Just wondering if this was true or no?

Upvote 0

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that adding all at once may ruin your tank, due to the filters having to adjust to too much. Just wondering if this was true or no?
I have had good luck adding all at once as well as other hobbiest. I think you would run into that issue if you have filtration equipment for just your size tank and not a size up like most people recommend. So it is technically possible for this to happen, but if you are watching it I don't believe this would be an issue. Especially if you have a good cuc.

If this is a concern you could also add them in groups as well. Get 3-4 fish at a time. Again adding in peaceful first and slowly adding the more aggressive/territorial ones last.

The biggest thing is when adding is testing parameters before and after. Watch everything closely for a new tank will give you the best success.

Think of it like this, your tank is a limited space environment. Any fish in your tank will typically establish a territory. When established they will protect their area. The idea behind added all the fish in at once is they will all have to all establish territories at the same time. Lowering aggression towards each other. Not bad to add one at a time just a little bit more work, imo, if you do it wrong.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be more concerned about disease if you did this. Crowded fish in a new tank can often result in stressed fish, and stressed fish are often much more susceptible to disease (translation: ich and velvet, not to mention the suite of other diseases you can face). I'd much rather deal with an aggression problem than something that could easily wipe out over a thousand dollars worth of fish.

I'd certainly put a robust quarantine/hospital/observation system in place before attempting this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LILPACONOT

LILPACONOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck adding all at once as well as other hobbiest. I think you would run into that issue if you have filtration equipment for just your size tank and not a size up like most people recommend. So it is technically possible for this to happen, but if you are watching it I don't believe this would be an issue. Especially if you have a good cuc.

If this is a concern you could also add them in groups as well. Get 3-4 fish at a time. Again adding in peaceful first and slowly adding the more aggressive/territorial ones last.

The biggest thing is when adding is testing parameters before and after. Watch everything closely for a new tank will give you the best success.

Think of it like this, your tank is a limited space environment. Any fish in your tank will typically establish a territory. When established they will protect their area. The idea behind added all the fish in at once is they will all have to all establish territories at the same time. Lowering aggression towards each other. Not bad to add one at a time just a little bit more work, imo, if you do it wrong.
Is a 110 rated gallon good enough for a 90 gallon?

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back