New to site need some sump input

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this video and want to copy i have a 29g and its a 10g sump im trying to build was hoping someone could check this vid, The only thing i would change is baffle height and width,also bare bottom fuge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmub88CQCI how high do u think i should go on baffles for this one and is there any flaws u can see?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you gonna plant your fuge? adding a live sand in your fuge also helps add beneficial bacteria as well as gives you alot more variety as far as macro algaes . i would also add a protein skimmer as i didnt see one in that guys sump

OP
OP
Scuba George

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes have skimmer, but will prob go shallow sand bed as to not take up too much volume that I already have little of.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions. Is your skimmer going in the sump. How does you display drain to the sump and return. Is it drilled or is it a HOB overflow.

OP
OP
Scuba George

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank god thought I was on my own. Skimmer will go into return will be two biocube skimmers, i know not the best but one works perfect for 29 now so two will do fine for 10 more gs return is 475 gph and overflow is 200 gph. :)

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to make the baffle hi enough to supplies the skimmers but not so hi that they float. You also need to have room for back flow if the power goes out or you will flood your floor. Here is my some. It isnt the same setup but should give you a idea. If my power goes out I have about 2 inches left after water stops draining.
IMG_20120521_001551.jpg

OP
OP
Scuba George

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok given that 1 gallon takes up about 11/2 inches to sump total how much am i expecting to get out of over flow backup, also taking pump intake into dt incase of siphon failure?

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way I have found is to fill the sump up two about a inch from the rim. Then plus in your return pump and where it stops is your max for the sump. If when you top off evaporation don't fill beyond that or you will have a mess. When it comes to biulding a sump the return area should be the biggest. Then the fuge but keep enough room for your skimmers, heaters, and media bags and stuff. Are your skimmers hang-on or going to sit on the bottom. If they are sitting on the bottom the first chamber needs to be a little over half the hieght of the skimmers. That will tell you how high to make the other baffles

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you figure out your hieght just set your skimmers, heaters, stuff in the 10g to one end the way you want it and mark on the outside were your first baffle will be. Then measure from there to the other end and mark the half way point that is your second baffle area. Now the first and second areas need to have a constant water level so were you maked the glass needs to be on the bottom. The first area can be high than the others to give room for back flow.

OP
OP
Scuba George

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm confused are u sayin set everything in 10 gallon and mark baffle just above skimmer. Also I def want fuge to be biggest chamber. Please set me strait

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I can see how your confused. Ok let's see...... Ok take the 10g put your skimmers in the tank on the side that water will be entering the sump. I'm assuming the sit on the bottom. Never used those skimmers. Let me do a little research so I can figure this out better I will get back with you in a few.

OP
OP
Scuba George

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I appreciate it but I have a biocube skimmer not a biocube it's a 29 gallon standard and I'm trying to figure a 10 gallon sump like in the vid I posted

OP
OP
Scuba George

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes here il send a pic give a sec

OP
OP
Scuba George

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high should first and last baffles be I want return chamber 5 in and overflow chamber 3 in making refuge 12 in
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1337996379.710695.jpg

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the skimmer is about 6 in long with out the cup so you can make the first chamber about 6 to 8 inches tall. It attaches with suction cups right.

Back