New to SPS

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm fairly new to keeping higher end SPS pieces(named pieces), I have quite a few no name acro's that are, and have been doing very well in my tank for over a year now.

The problem(or lack of IDK), id a couple of the named frags have these little white tips. I'm not sure if it's burnt tips(doubtful as my alk is always ALK 7 - 7.5, NO3 5, PO4 .018 - .20 and I run a 6 bulb T5/reefbright setup), growth tips, or loosing flesh. I've never seen this, but as I said I'm fairly new to keeping SPS.

It's not every tip, just a random branch here and there, and thats what has me puzzled. It's also not every piece, and the rest of the coral seems to be fine.

Not the best of pics, but you can get the idea.

On the left hand side of this POTO rise and shine, the 3 lower newer branches sticking out are stark white. Not the best pics I know, sorry in advance.
20201111_083215.jpg

You can see it better on this princess peach, the one branch on the right hand side is stark white. Yet the rest of the coral looks fine, and you can see it's encrusting the base.
20201111_083231.jpg

Any ideas or am I just over worried?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very difficult to see and judge. It could be growing tips - many acropora have a brighter to white tip when they have a good growth rate. Please look at these two pictures as an reference - this are growing well

white-tips-1.jpg

white-tips-2.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Lasse , but unfortunately neither look like the pics you posted. I'll see if I can get better pics when my lights come on. I'll turn the blues off, and it might make the pics better.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back