OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef CrazyCatGal , what type of aquarium do you have ? Where you into the FW planted aquarium NA style ? Is your aquarium a ADA or a Aquavas ?

It's a ADA competition tank, lol, no I am not an aquascaping competitor. I do love this tank! It was a gift earlier this year.

Yes, I'm a cross over from freshwater. Deep down I think all American freshwater hobbiest wish they were doing salt. My addiction started with a betta! I'm familiar with CO2, but preferred low tech. Apparently you are into freshwater as your using abrevations I don't know (NA?). I'm greatful I dabbled in freshwater plants, it makes me feel confident.

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1150.JPG

What's been your biggest mistake/ learning experience?

I have a 45 gallon "in the wall tank" that you can see from both sides. Mistakes i've made:
1. Bought a protein skimmer with a pump located inside the tank. (Bad look)
2. Not enough lighting or pump power (corrected w/ current pro IC loop system 2 LED fixtures w/ 2 current 1050 wave pumps.

I would exchanged the skimmer, but unfortunately, I can't get it out without removing the entire tank.

Chac317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Indiana. I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned or not (full disclosure I didn’t read through all the pages) but as far as lights really take the time to get the right fixture. Speaking from experience, don’t go cheap just because price scares you. You most likely will end up upgrading later and will easily spend more on multiple lights. I wish I would’ve just bought the best lighting I could from the start and not tried to go cheap. Would’ve saved a lot of money over the years lol.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Indiana. I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned or not (full disclosure I didn’t read through all the pages) but as far as lights really take the time to get the right fixture. Speaking from experience, don’t go cheap just because price scares you. You most likely will end up upgrading later and will easily spend more on multiple lights. I wish I would’ve just bought the best lighting I could from the start and not tried to go cheap. Would’ve saved a lot of money over the years lol.

Thank you. Do you belong to any associations in Indianapolis? If you don't live near the city, are you familiar with one that you'd recommend?

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what the heck, you mean you didn't have hours to scan intro conversation! Lol kidding...

Chac317

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Do you belong to any associations in Indianapolis? If you don't live near the city, are you familiar with one that you'd recommend?

Yeah I live on the northeast side of Indy. I am a member of INDMAS. That’s the only one I’m familiar with but it is great.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I live on the northeast side of Indy. I am a member of INDMAS. That’s the only one I’m familiar with but it is great.

Thanks! I think I'm going to check it out, and a Cincinnati group. Both are a bit of a drive so I might as well drop in on both a couple times. Then go with one that feels best.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second that advice, it is a false econnomy going cheap to begin with and it will limit what you can effectively keep in your reef.
For example a cheap light unit would be okay for fish and soft corals, but the complex requirements of keeping SPS corals, anemones and such like require quality lighting for good photosynthesis.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second that advice, it is a false econnomy going cheap to begin with and it will limit what you can effectively keep in your reef.
For example a cheap light unit would be okay for fish and soft corals, but the complex requirements of keeping SPS corals, anemones and such like require quality lighting for good photosynthesis.

Agree. The #1 thing freshwater taught me. If you were me what light would you buy? Ive only considered things $600, and less. I have maybe half a dozen narrowed down, and they range quite a bit in price.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. The #1 thing freshwater taught me. If you were me what light would you buy? Ive only considered things $600, and less. I have maybe half a dozen narrowed down, and they range quite a bit in price.

Im set on kessils 360w tuna blue they go for $400 but you can get a good deal or buy used for about $300
They have amazing growth and make the tank look very nice
You can also go with the kessils 160 tuna blue they are about $200 you can start with two and add a third as you go they aren’t as strong as the 360 but does the job

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a ADA competition tank, lol, no I am not an aquascaping competitor. I do love this tank! It was a gift earlier this year.

Yes, I'm a cross over from freshwater. Deep down I think all American freshwater hobbiest wish they were doing salt. My addiction started with a betta! I'm familiar with CO2, but preferred low tech. Apparently you are into freshwater as your using abrevations I don't know (NA?). I'm greatful I dabbled in freshwater plants, it makes me feel confident.

Very nice with your ADA aquarium . I love my ADA tank. NA just stands for a Nature Aquarium . I am a convert from FW planted as well into the Reefing world. I am looking forward to my build and it’s progress forward though. I think we all start from betta tanks. My last planted aquarium was High tech , a 40g ADA 75p iwagumi aquascape.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice with your ADA aquarium . I love my ADA tank. NA just stands for a Nature Aquarium . I am a convert from FW planted as well into the Reefing world. I am looking forward to my build and it’s progress forward though. I think we all start from betta tanks. My last planted aquarium was High tech , a 40g ADA 75p iwagumi aquascape.

Fantastic! Ok if I follow you? Similar tank, experience etc. Regardless thanks for the positive message it's going to be an intimidating journey.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im set on kessils 360w tuna blue they go for $400 but you can get a good deal or buy used for about $300
They have amazing growth and make the tank look very nice
You can also go with the kessils 160 tuna blue they are about $200 you can start with two and add a third as you go they aren’t as strong as the 360 but does the job

kessils 360w that's awesome this light was in my notebook! Yup I have a spiral notebook. :)

Lighting choice ✓ (yay!)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, from the Midwest. I'm currently setting up my first salt water tank. I'm devouring everyone's knowledge. Appreciate all your provided advice, and wisdom. :)
Welcome to R2R! Lots of great advice here. So much knowledge it's just incredible.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back