New to the site

  • Thread starter Thread starter Coreyw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Coreyw

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 26, 2016
Messages
1
Reaction score
4
Location
New Caney tx
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for info to start a saltwater tank. I currently have a 75 gallon bow front and a 30 gallon hexagon
tank. They are both set up freshwater and housing ciclids. I love these fish, however I really want a salt set up. I'm clueless though, where do I start, what equipment is needed, how much $ does it take to start, and how much time is needed for start up and maintenance? Any advice is welcomed!
 
Welcome aboard! First thing first is read up in this forum on members build to get an idea of what setup we have. Also what you like to keep. Reef or fish or mix reef. Then you can do searches on equipments to get an idea of cost. Not going to be cheap tho. Always need a tank that is reef ready with sump is best. Then fire away with questions when you research the equipments.
 
Welcome!

Dont let it scare you too bad. The 75 and 30 are both feasable. Tou would need overflow boxes and a sump to go that route. I keep my eyes on craigslist for people selling equipment. Its saved me hundreds
 
That is good advice from @Reeferfourlife I used a spreadsheet and set a startup budget after that I did my upgrades. Planning, Planning then spending. I have a 72 bowfront about 3.5K into it. I am at the 15 month point with this system and I should not have to spend much more. I did work another job to finance this system so that my other half would not pitch a fit. She still does:). oh yes welcome to the blog
 
welcome2-jpg.344929
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new