New to the sw hobby, is a pico reef a good idea?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is overrated! Wild reefs are not stable! Especially not for 90% of the corals in the trade which come from shallow lagoons and flats. They get blasted with rainstorms frequently which absolutely swings salinity quickly. Cold upwellings come into reefs all the time not to mention the highly seasonal variation of places like lord howe island! pH swings happen in the wild too for various reasons. In many places, all sorts of corals, yes even freaking acros, bake in the hot sun for several hours a day out of water.

I think "stability" really doesn't matter to hardy corals like the ones you're likely to keep in a pico anyways. I am not sure it matters even to the "difficult" corals (within reason)

The most difficult part of reefkeeping is long term consistency in maintenance. A pico is very easy to clean and garden in. I'd bet on success for 5 well kept gallons over 50 gallons of lazy.

If OP wants a pico get a pico. It's small enough that if you regret it starting over isn't the end of the world anyways.
I agree with this to a point. I think first you should master stability and then introduce controlled instability. I do think that a lot of people shoot themselves in the foot by keeping things too stable for too long, corals that are kept in somewhat varying conditions usually don’t react much when a parameter is off, whereas corals that are kept in exacting conditions can full-on RTN if the salinity is a little off. The trade off I guess is that usually only corals that are already well adapted/acclimated to tank life will thrive in controlled instability. Also, I think it’s important to note that while corals do experience hourly, daily, and seasonal fluctuations in the wild, that doesn’t necessarily mean that is what is preferable in an aquarium. It’s in an interesting discussion, but I think ethically, you have to understand reef chemistry and how to control it before allowing some controlled instability. Flying by the seat of your pants without a working understanding of how a reef tank works chemically and biologically, is just irresponsible, instability can be a positive thing in a tank, but it has to be controlled.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very experienced in the fw hobby. I have set up a 3/4 gallon pico. I have got all the equipment and have cycled. Before I buy my zoas abd mushroom I want to say is this a good idea... I have already bought everything but stock..

3/4 gallon as in 0.75 of a gallon or 3 or 4 gallon pico?

3 or 4g is fine but you will be VERY limited on fish. I would do like only the tiniest fish like two spot blenny, green banded gobies, trimma gobies, clown goby, neon goby, and such. Obviously only 1-2.

Pico's are easy to keep if you do 100% water changes once or twice a week. They are even easier than larger tanks as they don't really require testing or dosing since you can easily change ALL water. You can feed the corals before the water change then drain everything except enough water for a fish to sit in if you have one. Match new water in salinity and temp ofc.

For evaporation you definitely want a glass lid or a ATO. The water just evaps so fast.

If anyone tells you a pico is too difficult, I question whether they ever had a pico. They have always been the easiest tanks unless you slack on water changes.

They are also much cheaper to set up :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 gallon as in 0.75 of a gallon or 3 or 4 gallon pico?

3 or 4g is fine but you will be VERY limited on fish. I would do like only the tiniest fish like two spot blenny, green banded gobies, trimma gobies, clown goby, neon goby, and such. Obviously only 1-2.

Pico's are easy to keep if you do 100% water changes once or twice a week. They are even easier than larger tanks as they don't really require testing or dosing since you can easily change ALL water. You can feed the corals before the water change then drain everything except enough water for a fish to sit in if you have one. Match new water in salinity and temp ofc.

For evaporation you definitely want a glass lid or a ATO. The water just evaps so fast.

If anyone tells you a pico is too difficult, I question whether they ever had a pico. They have always been the easiest tanks unless you slack on water changes.

They are also much cheaper to set up :)
I mean 0.75 of a gallon.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean 0.75 of a gallon.

possible! evaporation and maintaining proper temp is your enemy. If you can do those and keep up on water changes then it should be fine. Just be sure not to cook anything with too powerful of a light either.

There are people who do reefs in a vase/fish bowl so that can be good to look up.

Dysert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have been researching for 6 months, I have just taken a while to 'make my move'
That's where I'm at right now, only about 5.5 months behind you, but taking my time and doing research along with learning the "lingo". I figure in 6 months or so I'll be ready (and educated) enough to purchase the exact setup I want. Only problem is......riding season is just around the corner....lol!

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I'm at right now, only about 5.5 months behind you, but taking my time and doing research along with learning the "lingo". I figure in 6 months or so I'll be ready (and educated) enough to purchase the exact setup I want. Only problem is......riding season is just around the corner....lol!
Good luck with your tank!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had temp problems with my 3g. Using a preset xs aqueon heater. The little black rectangle looking style heater. Anyway. I think I'm gonna try one of the under the tank pad heaters. Like for terrariums or reptile rocks or tanks.
D

nomad6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see some pics of your tank! I started pico with a 6 gal and I gotta say an ato and good heater is a must! Mines only 1.5 mos old and everything is thriving just finishing up with diatoms and I added macroalgaes to help with nutrient export so they don’t accumulate too quickly. They’re great sponges for nitrates and phosphates at a point I had bottomed out but fixed that with some over feeding so I got everything in balance at first I was testing 3 times a day to see any fluctuations but everything after my nitrite spike has been trending where it should be. I also recommend pods, phyto and zooplankton to get everything established much quicker. Good luck and welcome to the pico reefing life!

Dysert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had temp problems with my 3g. Using a preset xs aqueon heater. The little black rectangle looking style heater. Anyway. I think I'm gonna try one of the under the tank pad heaters. Like for terrariums or reptile rocks or tanks.
D
I'll keep that in mind when I start getting supplies. Let me know how that under tank heater works.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D
Im useing a black pad heater.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back