New to this Hobby! Looking for help!

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon,

I am very new to this hobby.. I am only looking to just get started, I am just looking to decide if I should buy a 20 gallon innovative marine tank or a 36 gallon bow front and the piece it all together. I know the 20 gallon looks much more sleek as well, but what are your thoughts? Cost wise as well. Is it a little more expensive to go with a 36 gallon, but it is easier to maintain? I am looking to do some easy corals in it. Not sure on the fish selection I would like to go yet. I am at the very early stages, but I would like to get a good base prior too. I can get a 36 gallon bow front tank as well with the stand for $100 tomorrow. If you guys suggest that way. Just looking for some input on what route I should go. Would it be a better route to by all the parts separately for the 36 gallon?

Last edited:

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I hate the look of bow fronts so you know my opinion on that. Also they are harder to clean
Secondly it depends usually it’s cheaper to buy the tank and the stand together. I’m not sure what parts you said to compare the bow front individual parts To so yea

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest, whatever you get, it have a sump. It will make your life a lot easier in the long-run.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I hate the look of bow fronts so you know my opinion on that. Also they are harder to clean
Secondly it depends usually it’s cheaper to buy the tank and the stand together. I’m not sure what parts you said to compare the bow front individual parts To so yea
What is the reason that you don't like bow fronts for? Why do you think they are harder to clean? I can steer away from the bow front! Would the tank be easier to maintain at a 36 gallon size or a 20?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hard to recommend a size. 4 foot tanks are pretty standard. 55g, 75g. Depends on your budget. Ive seen nice looking 29g.
Welcome here btw.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest, whatever you get, it have a sump. It will make your life a lot easier in the long-run.
Okay, I think I might go for the bow front 36 gallon! I have a 46 gallon bow front fresh water tank! So Kind of want to keep the same theme. Any good suggestions on sumps/lights? I am going to go to my local fish shop to buy it all to get the start up going here pretty soon!

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the reason that you don't like bow fronts for? Why do you think they are harder to clean? I can steer away from the bow front! Would the tank be easier to maintain at a 36 gallon size or a 20?
1. I find it harder to see through the bent glass
2. Cleaning magnets have difficulties on curved glass
3. There wouldn’t be much of a difference

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like to clean exclusively with magic-erasers..... I find my mag-float pretty worthless. A 36g Bowfront is a breeze to clean, at least my 46g was.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input! I really appreciate the info!

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to clean exclusively with magic-erasers..... I find my mag-float pretty worthless. A 36g Bowfront is a breeze to clean, at least my 46g was.
Awesome, Thanks for the info! I think I am going to lean towards the 36 gallon. I am getting a good deal on the tank and stand honestly! Like to go a little bigger as well than a 20 gallon. The innovative marines look really nice, but want something a little bigger

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are already doing what I typically recommend, getting a deal on your first tank by buying used or finding a good price. I say get the larger water volume. I know I've seen cleaning magnets for bow fronts but can't speak to how well they work.

Any good suggestions on sumps/lights?

Provide the tank dimensions, general type of corals you want to keep, and your budget and ppl can narrow down your light options.

Any container that holds water can technically work as a sump, you want something that easily accommodates the water that will overflow into the sump when you turn the return pump off (unless you have a check valve) and can accommodate the equipment you will run, typically at least a filter sock, heater, and skimmer. This can be a simple 10 gal aquarium with a filter sock holder or something purpose built.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are already doing what I typically recommend, getting a deal on your first tank by buying used or finding a good price. I say get the larger water volume. I know I've seen cleaning magnets for bow fronts but can't speak to how well they work.

Provide the tank dimensions, general type of corals you want to keep, and your budget and ppl can narrow down your light options.

Any container that holds water can technically work as a sump, you want something that easily accommodates the water that will overflow into the sump when you turn the return pump off (unless you have a check valve) and can accommodate the equipment you will run, typically at least a filter sock, heater, and skimmer. This can be a simple 10 gal aquarium with a filter sock holder or something purpose built.
i do have an extra 10 gallon tank. I am picking the tank up Friday. I am hopefully spending somewhere around $800-1k. Do you think this is a sufficient amount? I would like some easy coral to start off with. I have been doing some research on them. Any suggestions on easy corals? And would like some with a decent amount of movement? I like the bubble coral and zoanthids

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do have an extra 10 gallon tank. I am picking the tank up Friday. I am hopefully spending somewhere around $800-1k. Do you think this is a sufficient amount? I would like some easy coral to start off with. I have been doing some research on them. Any suggestions on easy corals? And would like some with a decent amount of movement? I like the bubble coral and zoanthids
I don’t know if you have seen this series of videos from brs, but I highly recommend watching them. Go slow. Welcome!

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can get a full set up for $800 - $1k, especially if your tank/ stand is only $100. Plenty of threads here on lights that can help guide you. I'm a particular fan of T5, and you can pick up small fixtures fairly affordable, but some ppl really enjoy the blue pop of LEDs. Seeing other tanks in person will help you decide what you may like.

As far as easy corals, I would classify zoanthids as easy for sure, and bubble coral easy but perhaps not as hardy as zoanthids. If you want movement it's common to recommend torch corals. Soft corals like toad stool leathers and gorgonians can display movment with the right flow and are also easy. Doing research like you are will really pay off. You will need to let the tank cycle and go without coral for quite awhile so you will have time to research those you want to add.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the bow front. Yuo know what works with them. Go with what you know....Things like HOB filters ect... A sump that will fit under your stand might be a bit small to really do a lot. The 36 is prob not drilled for any type of overflow which would be needed if you go with a sump.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can get a full set up for $800 - $1k, especially if your tank/ stand is only $100. Plenty of threads here on lights that can help guide you. I'm a particular fan of T5, and you can pick up small fixtures fairly affordable, but some ppl really enjoy the blue pop of LEDs. Seeing other tanks in person will help you decide what you may like.

As far as easy corals, I would classify zoanthids as easy for sure, and bubble coral easy but perhaps not as hardy as zoanthids. If you want movement it's common to recommend torch corals. Soft corals like toad stool leathers and gorgonians can display movment with the right flow and are also easy. Doing research like you are will really pay off. You will need to let the tank cycle and go without coral for quite awhile so you will have time to research those you want to add.

thanks for the info! Yeah, I am going to be doing a lot of research on the coral aspect once I get the tank set up and get it starting to cycle. I am excited for the whole process. Thanks for the information

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%

Back