New to torches, need help with white torch

Jenny_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I got a white/pink tipped torch. Did a coral dip, looked really healthy. All parameters are normal ( 10ppm nitrate, 0ppm nitrite and ammonia, 8.3ph, 470ppm calcium, kh is about 120) and I dose trace elements once a week. I also have a ph buffer in case I need it. but every day it does the same thing... opens up during the day, then towards the evening it closes up almost completely. I've got an ai prime that is on from 2pm to 12am and has a 2 hour ramp up time. I'm wondering if maybe its the lights? All my other corals are great, the frogspawn doesn't seem to be affected by anything so I'm stumped. This is my first time keeping a torch but I've had the frogspawn for over a year now and it has grown. Any thoughts?

20201115154030_IMG_4770.JPG 20201007145123_IMG_4374.JPG 20201117_214055.jpg Screenshot_20201117-214237_myAI.jpg

OP
OP
Jenny_rs

Jenny_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Definitely bleached, if the last picture is a recent picture it doesn't look too good
Yes it is from just now. Thats the thing though, come morning its perfectly fine. Opens up, nice and big. But come evening it closes up. If it is bleached I'm going to have some words with my lfs.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fyi..I don't believe there are any white corals.
You can find some nice pink looking ones, but not white

OP
OP
Jenny_rs

Jenny_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then. I feel duped. Does anyone have suggestions of what to do? I could take it back and trade it for something else but I didn't really want to.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well then. I feel duped. Does anyone have suggestions of what to do? I could take it back and trade it for something else but I didn't really want to.
Honestly that would be the best way to save your money.

But I understand not wanting to.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would take it back, get a refund, then find a new LFS.

I wouldn’t want to give that shop my money again, you can no longer trust them. They either knew or didn’t know it was bleached, either way it doesn’t look good for them, they are either incompetent or untrustworthy.

OP
OP
Jenny_rs

Jenny_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take it back, get a refund, then find a new LFS.

I wouldn’t want to give that shop my money again, you can no longer trust them. They either knew or didn’t know it was bleached, either way it doesn’t look good for them, they are either incompetent or untrustworthy.
Agreed! I'm very familiar with one of the managers there so I am definitely going to go have a chat with him tomorrow because they had at least four or five of these frags of torches. Pretty sure I paid about 50 or 60 for it too. It's just sad, I've had no issues with them until now and have been going there for 15 years give or take.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then they'll probably make it right. Maybe it was a new person that didn't know much and sold it to you without knowing it was bleached

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is 100% a bleached coral. there is no such thing as white corals. If they are white, they are bleached.

I also do not see any flesh on the the tiny "blades"(theres a name for them, just can't think of it right now) in the skeleton, and possibly some cyano on those "blades" also.

It may recover, but the outcome looks pretty bleak. Move it to a low flow, low light place, and just leave it be. I wouldn't even try to feed it at this point. I would just let it try to recover.

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may be bleached but they can sometimes recover, its on you if you saw it in person and took it home, I dont think they forced you to buy it? Had you bought that online and the picture they advertised wasnt bleached that would be a different story and a return would be acceptable, but not in this case. You should learn from this and do research before you purchase more corals.

OP
OP
Jenny_rs

Jenny_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just left my lfs. Manager said he's been getting these torches for a long time and has never had a problem with them but since it would never fully open up in my tank that something was upsetting it even though all other corals are happy and healthy. I asked him to do a refund for me and he obliged so I got a goni instead. Not sure I am going to trust this place, I may just come for supplies if necessary but I may be looking for another place to shop.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Manager said he's been getting these torches for a long time and has never had a problem with them but since it would never fully open up in my tank that something was upsetting it even though all other corals are happy and healthy."

So he's just gonna lie to your face and then shift blame to you? PFFF, what a chump. Go to a new store!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back