New torch coral

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear that. I think the big takeaway that I’ve learned is that LPS, especially Euphilyias, need more time and a much more established tank. Hopefully with a little love and care, though, I can help my coral regrow. It’s going pretty well so far...
good luck!

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ordered online from an LFS about 30 minutes away, called aquarium care center. I would’ve gone to the store but liked their online order policies and that particular piece they were offering.
Could it be shocked from the overnight transfer? It began to open up in about a half hour after it was put in.

I exclusively shop only there for my LFS needs and Mike is super helpful and knowledgeable. Most of the corals in my tank and all my fish are from there (except my torches because I wanted a bit more exotic ones than they had at the time). If you have any issues, you can send them an email, call, or go back in and they might be able to do a water test for you on the spot. They also sell the other test kits you are missing.

I got plenty of Euphyillia from them and they are all doing amazing! And I added my frogspawn and hammer to my tank after about a month and had no issues so 'adding them too soon' might not be the reason (they also survived 2 tank moves) and like others suggested, testing the other params will provide more insight.

Also aussie torches are more finicky then their indo cousins.

Also, out of curiosity, what salt are you using to mix your water?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I exclusively shop only there for my LFS needs and Mike is super helpful and knowledgeable. Most of the corals in my tank and all my fish are from there (except my torches because I wanted a bit more exotic ones than they had at the time). If you have any issues, you can send them an email, call, or go back in and they might be able to do a water test for you on the spot. They also sell the other test kits you are missing.

I got plenty of Euphyillia from them and they are all doing amazing! And I added my frogspawn and hammer to my tank after about a month and had no issues so 'adding them too soon' might not be the reason (they also survived 2 tank moves) and like others suggested, testing the other params will provide more insight.

Also aussie torches are more finicky then their indo cousins.

Also, out of curiosity, what salt are you using to mix your water?
I plan to visit very soon. I’m looking into more exotic zoas than the blah looking brown one I picked up cheap at Petco. I love their customer service, and love the killer deals they always have. As far as salt goes I use Reef Crystals. I think my corals like it. I don’t really know, though.

Question—Does aquarium care center quarantine most of their fish? That would be great. I’m reluctant on where to buy from when restocking my fish because last time I had a massive velvet outbreak (which marked the end of Petco fish for me). I’m also afraid to quarantine myself, as I think I would mess up.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I plan to visit very soon. I’m looking into more exotic zoas than the blah looking brown one I picked up cheap at Petco. I love their customer service, and love the killer deals they always have. As far as salt goes I use Reef Crystals. I think my corals like it. I don’t really know, though.

Question—Does aquarium care center quarantine most of their fish? That would be great. I’m reluctant on where to buy from when restocking my fish because last time I had a massive velvet outbreak (which marked the end of Petco fish for me). I’m also afraid to quarantine myself, as I think I would mess up.

Ok yeah -- was going to say the orange reef crystals will be needed for and sort of LPS or SPS so if you were using a salt not made for corals, it might lead to nutrient issues. But I also use the reef crystals and really like it. No complaints.

About ACC, I am not 100% sure about their QT process but I have been in there more then a dozen times since march when I started my tank and never saw any fish that looked ill. Their site says that all their fish are QT'd and follow the same QT process as the suppliers. Idk how active they are on here but @aquariumcarecenter Granted I just have 2 clowns and a YWG and they have had 0 issues since I got them about 5 months ago. They are in my 15gal and they are happy and thiqqqq. I have a 50gal coming in a few weeks so then I will convert my 15gal into a observational QT tank because for me it is not worth the risk of killing $X,XXX worth of live stock by not doing a QT, no matter where you buy it from. (same with corals)

I know the QT tank set up can seem overwhelming, but if you have the space for one, you can easily put one together for about $100. Legit just need a tank (cheap petco one like 20gal and can get one when they are a $1/gal), a heater, and a HOB filter and some PVC piping for the fish to hide if they prefer that. Just keep the HOB filter media in your display tank sump so when the QT tank is needed, it is instantly cycled. When done though, throw out the filter and add a new dry filter
back to the sump and repeat. Never put the filter from the QT back into your display

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just figured I’d update the thread—my torch coral is doing absolutely amazing! He’s growing rapidly and may even split soon!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B279A5B2-DFA4-4389-A76B-05B567F3E614.jpeg

Here’s a pic from yesterday

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really just takes plenty of time and knowledge I guess. Looking back, I really didn't know what to do. But with some extra care and a lot of research and help on r2r, I can now successfully grow euphyllia! Thanks everyone for their help!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back