Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Params are all around zero"

This reply is too vague.

What are you testing for and what all the values?
So I know this sounds like an extreme rookie error, but only ammonia, nitrites, nitrates (which are all around 0) and ph (which is around 8). I plan to get a test kit for calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and phosphates now that I have the torch. I know that is probably stupid not to have tests for that, but y’know, I can’t call myself an expert (or even experienced for that fact)

I should mention the fact that there was an ammonia spike that followed an algae bloom, but that was put under control, I do need to replace the carbon though.

It is very good to know it may still be alive and has a chance. Torch coral has been the one that I’ve been trying to get since I started reasearching saltwater, so I do want to make sure everything is ok, and what I can do to help.

I know I left it last night to a hungry emerald crab (who has been annoying the crap out of my leathers) so could he be the problem? I did also notice some tenticles torn, so could it be the crab? I do plan on turning it to get a better look on the bad side, or should I leave it be?

For the future, assuming it survives—what do you guys recommend I do to keep it growing nicely? Should I target feed?

As far as the problem goes— has anyone shared an experience where it looked like it’s dying? I’d love some reassurance that this isn’t some abnormal thing. I’m freaking out!!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This^^^. If all your params are around 0, then I will assume your Alkalinity is also 0.
Yeah, I’ll admit I’m not the greatest with testing water. I can say the ammonia nitrates and nitrites are around zero, and pH around 8, but the rest I was told is unnecessary by an LFS I went to....I assume that’s false?
Everyone please criticize me all you want, because it is totally true. I am by no means good at taking water tests.

Last edited:

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I know this sounds like an extreme rookie error, but only ammonia, nitrites, nitrates (which are all around 0) and ph (which is around 8). I plan to get a test kit for calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and phosphates now that I have the torch. I know that is probably stupid not to have tests for that, but y’know, I can’t call myself an expert (or even experienced for that fact)

I should mention the fact that there was an ammonia spike that followed an algae bloom, but that was put under control, I do need to replace the carbon though.

It is very good to know it may still be alive and has a chance. Torch coral has been the one that I’ve been trying to get since I started reasearching saltwater, so I do want to make sure everything is ok, and what I can do to help.

I know I left it last night to a hungry emerald crab (who has been annoying the crap out of my leathers) so could he be the problem? I did also notice some tenticles torn, so could it be the crab? I do plan on turning it to get a better look on the bad side, or should I leave it be?

For the future, assuming it survives—what do you guys recommend I do to keep it growing nicely? Should I target feed?

As far as the problem goes— has anyone shared an experience where it looked like it’s dying? I’d love some reassurance that this isn’t some abnormal thing. I’m freaking out!!

Ammonia and Nitrite should be 0, not close to 0. Your tank might still be cycling if you are detecting even a tiny bit. Euphyllia, especially Aussie, are some of the harder corals to keep. Sometimes they just self-destruct for no apparent reason. So yes, often they retract and are ok, or they retract and die. It happens.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I’ll admit I’m not the greatest with testing water. I can say the ammonia nitrates and nitrites are around zero, and pH around 8, but the rest I was told is unnecessary by an LFS I went to....I assume that’s false?
Criticize me all you want, because it is totally true. I am by no means good at taking water tests.

No critique, please don't take it that way. Written word often doesn't convey emotion well. I do recommend you get good quality test kits, and stay on top of your parameters. Keeping coral is not the easiest hobby out there, and given how expensive they are, testing Alk, Ca, Phosphate and Nitrate should be a pretty standard practice.

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it retracted only with lights off? if it does, it's completely normal. It looks like some part of it is missing , or is just the angle of the picture?

Also , try to get a KH test as soon as possibly , this is 999x more important then a PH test, and you should've done it before introducing any coral. Salifert tests are good and cheap,

Hope you the best of luck!

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and what are your parameters. From the looks of it. It looks too new for any coral.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it retracted only with lights off? if it does, it's completely normal. It looks like some part of it is missing , or is just the angle of the picture?

Also , try to get a KH test as soon as possibly , this is 999x more important then a PH test, and you should've done it before introducing any coral. Salifert tests are good and cheap,

Hope you the best of luck!
It definitely looks like a piece is missing. Last night, the tentacles just shortened like any polyp would retract. Today, there is some exposed skeleton, and the rest is dull and not nearly as extended

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely looks like a piece is missing. Last night, the tentacles just shortened like any polyp would retract.

That's weird.. I don't know if it could be any crab, but someone more experienced should be able to help you with their behaviour. It is still alive, so it can regenerate. If it dies, test everything make sure everything is good, find the culprit and fix it, and then get another one.

We learn from our mistakes

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things I wanted to add from a quick read through from yesterday. Torch corals like flow, but not enough flow that they are damaging themselves off of the sharp skeletal teeth (which you can see on the retracted side of the torch).

From my understanding, torches are generally found near river exits etc.. and prefer a slightly "dirtier" water because of this, so having nitrates and phos at zero can actually be detrimental.

As others have said it is normal to have a torch retract like that at night sometimes. They can pull all the way back into the skeleton just about (as you can see from the half that you said looks like it's missing.)

All I can recommend is place it in an area with the correct flow and light, and then LEAVE it there + don't touch it anymore. I have a torch that was purchased from someone here, when I arrived to pick it up it was HEAVILY fragged and in really rough shape. I did iodine dips for a couple weeks (brown jelly) on and off, placed it in a gentle area in my tank and it has been recovering slowly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another major issue I have noticed recently is some tentacles look like theyre falling apart? I don’t know how to describe it, but they’re just deteriorating. Honestly, I was 50-50 on whether it would survive when I purchased it, after reading a lot about torch corals’ unexpected deaths. I was just really hopeful this would work out. Hopefully it still does, but based on how it looks right now, I’m becoming less optimistic. I suppose I’ll stick to soft corals a little longer before trying a euphylia coral again.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jesus. We literally can't help you without knowing what cal/mag levels you have. Especially ALK. God sake.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a step back... breathe.... it will be ok.... :D :D :D

*INHALE* *EXHALE* .....I GET SO ANNOYED! hahah

Naw, it's just basic stuff. Like you can do a quick google search and see anywhere how important. It's like ammonia being 0 = ALK. They are both so important, we can talk about flow and lights, etc. But if ALK isn't right..it's pointless.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
*INHALE* *EXHALE* .....I GET SO ANNOYED! hahah

Naw, it's just basic stuff. Like you can do a quick google search and see anywhere how important. It's like ammonia being 0 = ALK. They are both so important, we can talk about flow and lights, etc. But if ALK isn't right..it's pointless.

We have new reefers - it's a great thing. OP will figure it out.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have new reefers - it's a great thing. OP will figure it out.

Don't get me wrong it's cool. More peeps to talk to about this stuff etc. But you gotta do some research man. Set yourself up for success. Where I'm from, you gotta work hard to set yourself up for success cause aint nobody else doin it for you. In general I mean, not talking directly to anyone, I'm just sayin.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry, Hincapiej4, but I don’t have anything to test calcium, magnesium, or alkalinity, so therefore can’t tell you anything. I know that’s a problem. Sorry.
As far as updates on the torches’ status— good and bad. The tentacles are starting to pop out of the skeleton again, looking like how it does at night, but many of the ones that are already out are either deflated, droopy, or half there. Honestly I think it looks bothered by the flow, and hopefully removing excess flow will help. Seeing the old tentacles coming back where I thought they all melted away is reassuring. It looks ticked though, which I am 90% sure is the emerald crab’s fault. I am starting to think Sebastian has to go. I am still concerned about the coral though and won’t be surprised if it dies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back