New torches always end up melting

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a NY knicks about 1 month ago and it melted about 4 days later. Didn’t see any brown jelly when I came back from school and the whole head was hanging off the skeleton, so I thought maybe it was just that specimen. Got another torch, lasted about 2 days and this time I saw brown jelly so I took it out and dipped it in iodine with cipro and put it in a qt tank. That one also completely melted away. I have 4 large torch colonies in my dt that have been unaffected but I ended up dosing the tank anyway with cipro for about a week. Just got ANOTHER NY knicks yesterday and today its mouth is gaping (same thing the other ones did before melting). What could be going on?

Parameters
dkh: 9.0
calc: 445
mag:1450
pH: 8.3-8.45
no3: 11.5
Po4: 0.02

B5B170DB-1937-477C-BFEB-BC7A77B58F83.jpeg

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where are you getting these torches from? Might be a bad batch from your source.

Acclimation process?

Parameters look fine so not sure what else to tell you.

OP
OP
O

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you getting these torches from? Might be a bad batch from your source.

Acclimation process?

Parameters look fine so not sure what else to tell you.
I’ve gotten all my torches from a local hobbyist. The other ones have been fine, just not the NY knicks. I just dipped the frag in a bucket along with some bag and dt water with a heater.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are the torches coming from a tank with higher p04 and n03?

Assuming nothing else is off...They could be starving if they are coming from a nutrient rich environment to a pretty clean environment.

Any other new additions or swings?

OP
OP
O

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the torches coming from a tank with higher p04 and n03?

Assuming nothing else is off...They could be starving if they are coming from a nutrient rich environment to a pretty clean environment.

Any other new additions or swings?
The guy I get them from does not test his nutrients so I have no idea. I do have aminos hooked up to a doser and dose phyto for my clams every other day.

My dos has been keeping my alk and calc pretty stable but we’ve been having internet issues this week and its had gaps in dosing for maybe 1-2hrs everyday. Alk only swings by like .1 at the most during that time though.

FishPham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The guy I get them from does not test his nutrients so I have no idea. I do have aminos hooked up to a doser and dose phyto for my clams every other day.

My dos has been keeping my alk and calc pretty stable but we’ve been having internet issues this week and its had gaps in dosing for maybe 1-2hrs everyday. Alk only swings by like .1 at the most during that time though.

Yeah that might be the problem. Your tank is super low in nutrients. Test his water yourself if you pick up more corals from him since he doesn't want to test it. Only way to know for sure.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back