New trachy has spine poking through

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently got a trachy, it puffs up nice. But today I fed it some reef roids, then noticed a small spine that poked through. After it finished eating I can't even find a hole. Is this bad?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently got a trachy, it puffs up nice. But today I fed it some reef roids, then noticed a small spine that poked through. After it finished eating I can't even find a hole. Is this bad?
Are you target feeding? I feed my tank with broadcast feedings to avoid overwhelming my LPS. I noticed that they would deflate if I target fed them, but would expand and open up their tentacles to feed if I broadcast fed vs target feeding.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you target feeding? I feed my tank with broadcast feedings to avoid overwhelming my LPS. I noticed that they would deflate if I target fed them, but would expand and open up their tentacles to feed if I broadcast fed vs target feeding.
What do you feed them with? how do they catch it? I target fed it, is it not good for trachys?

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like typical inflation/deflation. If you can, post some pics.
Sorry, its at a weird angle, I can only kinda see it with my eyes. The light distorts when using camera, UNLESS I DUNK MY PHONE IN THE WATER :D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our trachy preferred meaty foods like LRS reef frenzy, reef nutrition mysis feast, etc. Only time it was target fed is when the feeding tentacles were out.

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with above, I feed my trachy sinking pellets for bottom feeder fish. They sink so it is easy for the trachy to catch them before a shrimp of hermit crab tries to steal the food...

shopping

As far as the spine, if you have noticed an almost blade like skeleton poke through an area of flesh, I would not be concerned. Only be concerned if it does not go away or worsens.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you feed them with? how do they catch it? I target fed it, is it not good for trachys?
Coral foods, generally small planktonic (frozen or live) and they catch pellets as mentioned by others.

I think that corals on a reef would have continual plankton prey and occassional a larger prey item, (shrimp, small fish, etc) and this is what I attempt to replicate with my food additions. I add plankton 2-3x/week pouring it into the water and allowing the current to bring the food to the coral. I feed my fish frozen mysis and pellets, the corals may get some of this directly, and after the fish processes it the corals get those products.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed my corals planktonic refrigerated food, what effects have you noticed or did you just always feedem?
Coral foods, generally small planktonic (frozen or live) and they catch pellets as mentioned by others.

I think that corals on a reef would have continual plankton prey and occassional a larger prey item, (shrimp, small fish, etc) and this is what I attempt to replicate with my food additions. I add plankton 2-3x/week pouring it into the water and allowing the current to bring the food to the coral. I feed my fish frozen mysis and pellets, the corals may get some of this directly, and after the fish processes it the corals get those products.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a variety of “coral” food products, frozen and freeze dried ( previously live) with the ideal that theses natural food items are what the coral would eat in the wild.

I occasionally add in live food items, pods brine shrimp, plankton, but usually I just feed dead food items.

I notice the results most clearly in my lps, plate corals I’ve had 5-8 years that grew from nickle-sized (or smaller) specimens to ~5”+ super puffy-extended tentacle Happy corals. I have also had single frag branching hammer grow into multi-headed (skeleton size)-“softballs” , and single Duncan heads that I’ve dragged often because of the same growth “problem.” My lfs and local Reefer friends have helped rehome the excess growth.
( I should mention The tank is 18” deep 28”x46” with 2 x 250 watt Phoenix 14k mh , heavy skimming and calcium reactor to maintain light and water quality stability)

SPS also extend their feeding tentacles when I feed, which reminds me to say that I generally feed corals when their small food when the lights are out. They do capture some of the pellets and other food items offered in the “day” to the fish.

IMO, feeding planktonic foods increases coral health significantly, which shouldn’t really be a surprise since all corals have their mouths for a purpose.

Long reply, hth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back