New Trident?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer Matt btw when I ended with 'not sure why hobbyist' let me apologize as I wasn't referring to you. It was just a general observation that some of us do. I was re-reading it and I didn't like it so wanted to clarify.

Sorry. Hope your day is going well.
Likewise! It’s cool. I’m very much a hobbyist myself. And I didn’t mean to suggest this product has no value at all. It is very much a tool. I just wish they either could have added another test, or reduced the price for what is presented. I can afford it, and might buy it someday, but I don’t see this solving a problem for me. I do hope it helps other Reefers though!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m undecided. I don’t really NEED it, but it would be cool. Depends entirely on early adopter reports.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finding space in the stand to fit another Trident is also a problem. Mixing reagents and only having 2 month shelf life would be a major bummer. Would be interesting to see if Maven has the same limitations.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like I have to save a lot of money to buy a device controller that test for five parameters, that will put a dent in my wallet, maybe I should stick with my Marine Master, it's not bad, and it test for 9 parameters.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll likely still be able to hack the cycle or do manual tests. But the new reagent you have to activate by mixing 2 bottles into one, so it starts a timer. So even if you test less, the reagent will degrade at some point. They said it’s 2 months but likely it’s slightly longer. But how long?
Interesting, I had not read that mixing of reagents was to be required. I suppose one could just mix half of each bottle together to support a frequency ‘hack’. All speculation (for me that is). I shall simply wait until there are some reliable user reports. Either way, it’s pretty cool.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting, I had not read that mixing of reagents was to be required. I suppose one could just mix half of each bottle together to support a frequency ‘hack’. All speculation (for me that is). I shall simply wait until there are some reliable user reports. Either way, it’s pretty cool.

Saw in an interview you have to mix reagents. Comes with 5 bottles, mix 2 together. The reason is for shelf life. When mixed they rapidly deteriorate when seperate they are fine. I think it also comes with something to put in your waste container so it neutralizes it. Supposidly you cant drain to drain line

I have my trident NP on order at my LFS, im getting the first one they have. I also pln to immediately disassemble it and put it in a mini trident container to match my other.

I will post here when I get it up and running. I have also never used the trident reagents or calibration solution. I calibrate to my water measuring with hanna or saliferts. Hoping ABC comes out with them immediately.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not directed at you but I don't understand the angst some have noted about mixing reagents. It more than likely will be a one time task that is part of the regular scheduled change. Regents have a shelf life regardless of what other brands may say. How long that is of course will vary. I mean I'm looking at my Hanna reagent pack and it expires next month.

The respected systems are being tested and the users provide feedback. Developers assess and make changes if need be. Final product gets to market and those lucky enough to be on the waiting list or capture the unicorn provide their feedback some of which may have escaped both developer and testers use case.

My point, I guess, is that reagent mixing and replacing is to be expected. Same of a probe replacement. Nothing to worry about or fret over.

Again not directed at you but the past few posts seem to have it come up. Original Trident user here and never been bothered by it. I buy the reagents in 6 month kits and store a cabinet next to my display.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’s the fun in having nothing to complain about ….

1. Price is ridiculous, it only tests two things.
2. I’m expected to do WHAT with the reagents …. I have enough trouble keeping the 3 bottles for the original trident straight and now I’m expected to mix two together.
3. Even though nobody has used it, clearly the maven is going to be way better. Apex killer.
4. Can always complain about build quality.
5. ….. and aesthetics.

BTW, for anyone not good at detecting sarcasm ….

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Saw in an interview you have to mix reagents. Comes with 5 bottles, mix 2 together. The reason is for shelf life. When mixed they rapidly deteriorate when seperate they are fine. I think it also comes with something to put in your waste container so it neutralizes it. Supposidly you cant drain to drain line

I have my trident NP on order at my LFS, im getting the first one they have. I also pln to immediately disassemble it and put it in a mini trident container to match my other.

I will post here when I get it up and running. I have also never used the trident reagents or calibration solution. I calibrate to my water measuring with hanna or saliferts. Hoping ABC comes out with them immediately.

I have seen NOTHING about mixing reagents. In fact they said at the last show that the device will pull from 3 separate reagent containers all stored within the device itself. No manual mixing required.

I have been in contact with ABC reagents. They have no intention of creating reagents for the Mavin or the Trident NP. That may have changed but as of 2 weeks ago that was their response.

jag10016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya. Too little too late. Coralvue announced already and it will make me switch over. Their are far more customer friendly compared to Neptune. Neptune just wants their money. Coralvue has literally gone to customer homes to help troubleshoot.

I expect Coralvue to announce launch dates tomorrow at 10am eastern on their stream. I’ll be making my orders asap.
i wonder what it would cost?

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The new trident NP won’t allow you to enter test values anymore. The new reagents come with calibration fluid with a fixed known no/po4 value. So you must use theirs.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen NOTHING about mixing reagents. In fact they said at the last show that the device will pull from 3 separate reagent containers all stored within the device itself. No manual mixing required.

I have been in contact with ABC reagents. They have no intention of creating reagents for the Mavin or the Trident NP. That may have changed but as of 2 weeks ago that was their response.
There is mixing involved. There’s a 3A and 3B that must be combined on the trident before use.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The new trident NP won’t allow you to enter test values anymore. The new reagents come with calibration fluid with a fixed known no/po4 value. So you must use theirs.

thats gonna be super lame, but if I have to I guess I have too. Always doing tank water seemed to work better.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It’s in a few of the videos

No it is not. I've watched their videos. Unless I missed one it isn't in there. People asked about that during their RAP live and they said it is 3 containers of reagents.

Please post your proof.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of assumptions being made in these "soon to be released" products posts regardless of manufacture. Hobbyist really need to wait for manufacture to provide the truth.

Back