New Used RODI Low Production

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally picked up my used running reef tank yesterday. Hooked up the rodi the guy was using to make some more water and its going slooow. The pressure gauge always reads 0. Production is at about 3/4 - 1 gallon an hour. The digital meter is reading 0 which is good. Unit is rated at 90gpd
I still have my old rodi unit from 2 years ago and when I used to run it I would get about 2 gallons and hour and it was a smaller unit but seeing I havnt used it in two years Im sure it needs all new filters and membrane. Any ideas where to start?

20200308_191249.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much reject water is it making compared to the amount of RO water? If it's close to normal, I'd be looking at the input side and pre-filters. If the reject volume is way up compared to the RO, I'd look at the output side of the membrane, especially any debris in the small inline flow control insert (if there is one).

OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much reject water is it making compared to the amount of RO water? If it's close to normal, I'd be looking at the input side and pre-filters. If the reject volume is way up compared to the RO, I'd look at the output side of the membrane, especially any debris in the small inline flow control insert (if there is one).
How do I know if theres a control insert? Tried to look the instructions up online, there is a short red tube I believe before the waste water. Ill check tonight but pretty sure theres a good flow on the waste side. My old unit had a valve I could open to flush it I believe this doesnt have one

Reefnman2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The town I live in uses well water, in the winter months when the water is extremely cold mine operates at a much slower pace as temps start to rise it will produce a lot more. Mine is 75 GPD so you might keep that in mind if you live in a colder climate.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets try an get some experts involved. These guys are smart and they have been very helpful to me and others.
@Buckeye Hydro

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have that same unit and where the waste water tube comes out there should be a restrictor in there. You will have to pull it apart to see it. If not order you a valve off brs. Even if there is order you one makes flushing the membrane possible. Or even pull the one off the old unit of it has one.
Good starting point at least.

Matt

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand symptoms right...you could try taking out all the filters. The pressure gauge is usually after filters/before membrane (and after flow restrictor?). See what your pressure reading is and water flow (if still zero/low - then restrictor or broken gauge) . If high, then it was filters.

Wouldn't mind confirmation from others if that makes sense.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if I remember right my pressure gauge stopped working as well. Keep meaning to pick one up

This is the flush valve I’m referring to. Watch the video the restrictor are inside the hose and they show you an example towards the end. I flush my membrane every few months.

Matt

OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if I remember right my pressure gauge stopped working as well. Keep meaning to pick one up

This is the flush valve I’m referring to. Watch the video the restrictor are inside the hose and they show you an example towards the end. I flush my membrane every few months.

Matt

Perfect! I have one of those on my old unit, Ill take it apart and look tonight

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking that restrictor isn’t there allowing water to bypass. Might not be the issue but easy to check and go from there.

Matt

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ron.

How long did that system sit around unused before you used it?

BTW, that system has a 75 gpd membrane in it although it is sold as a 90.

Russ

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I see is that unit looks to have been butchered and tubing is set wrong. The pressure gauge reading zero is a concern. Yes, it could be a bad gauge but is it even getting water? I would remove the gauge and see if water is even flowing through to it. Also how old are the filters on that unit? Old filters will cause issues.

You say you have an old system, what's wrong with it? These RO-DI units are all basically the same thing no matter who's name is on it. If your old one worked why swap it to this?

OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This system was being used up till the time I got it (Sunday). I purchased a running saltwater tank and this came with it. That is why Im using it, my old system has sat around for 2 years unused because I kept it when I sold off my Old reef tank 2 years ago. I added a picture, the yellow shows the way the tubing is ran. Water comes in from the black hose on the left. Goes through the left filter, then center. Goes up to the one on top on the left, through the top down to the bottom right (membrane?) And out the blue tube. The red tube is the waste water coming out the top right. I added the flow restrictor off my old system it helped but not much.

20200310_061853.jpg 20200310_062234.jpg 20200310_062255.jpg

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth a shot. Mark off the easy stuff first lol. Was the push in flow restrictor removed when you added the flush valve?

next I would order new filters and flush the unit. Maybe a pressure gauge for the source water.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to give us a call when you are in front of the system if you'd like to figure out what's wrong.

Russ
513-312-2343

OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel free to give us a call when you are in front of the system if you'd like to figure out what's wrong.

Russ
513-312-2343

@Buckeye Hydro That is awesome thank you! I will see when I can get out of work lol.
@Mattman1977 There was a small blue restrictor in there that I removed when I put on the other valve

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue restrictor you removed was for a 75 gpd membrane (@ 77F and 50 psi), the new one you installed is for a 100 gpd membrane (@ 77F and 50 psi).

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back