New VorTech leak?!?!!?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you would be VERY pleased with VorTechs, both old and new. And who knows, maybe they are going to provide upgrade kits to the "Old" VorTechs? You could score a cheap pair and throw some new pieces on for cheap?!?

This happens to me ALL the time with electronics! But such is the nature of technology. Like I mentioned to @zesty , maybe they'll provide some up-gradable features for those with "older" pumps??

That will be not a maybe, and you know it LOL!

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Apple making all of the cables work from phone model to model right? LOL no chance on that I say. Upgrade or die. Which really isn't a bad issue, unless your products are insanely priced.

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little disappointed I had heard that they where coming out with a new pump was hoping for a new design to compete with gyre etc

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just keep buying everyone's used cheap mp40s. Noise isn't an issue in my "grow room" ;)

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'll get to all of your statements later today, since we got the green light to blab about features and specs. In the meantime, check out one of our PTT member's first 20sec video. He's the only one in the world to receive one so far.

https://www.facebook.com/crackischeaper

I'll post his entire review video after he publishes it.

Randy
EcoTech Product Test Team

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be curious to understand of there is going to be an upgrade kit, and if so, what it would entail.

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, here is the first review video of the VorTech Quiet Drive (MP40wQD) from one of our Product Test Team members. In it you will see the unboxing of the Beta Prototype, a visual comparison of the old vs. new, and much more!

ENJOY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVXgUA_MIP4&feature=youtu.be

I will follow up with your questions later this evening, as best I can.
Randy

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be curious to understand of there is going to be an upgrade kit, and if so, what it would entail.

Yes there will be.
How do I know................ :crossedlips:

Keep an eye out on the Ecotech website this Friday or after the weekend.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly disappointed on that. Listen to the tank as it is running. Is the quiet drive really going to make that much difference? I will stick to the old mp40 until they aren't available.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, here is the first review video of the VorTech Quiet Drive (MP40wQD) from one of our Product Test Team members. In it you will see the unboxing of the Beta Prototype, a visual comparison of the old vs. new, and much more!

ENJOY!

http://youtu.be/xVXgUA_MIP4

I will follow up with your questions later this evening, as best I can.
Randy

Can you repost the link... not working for me.

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, I must defer anything that I cannot answer or divulge to EcoTech Marine and their Customer Service department. I am a member of the EcoTech Product Test Team and have been granted the opportunity to learn about, view, and test some of EcoTech's new and existing products from a consumer's prospective. My opinions are strictly my own, and do not reflect those of EcoTech Marine or it's affiliates.

**No, I wasn't forced to put a disclaimer.... I've listened to too many radio and TV commercials! :lol:

Secondly, to clear up any misunderstanding from the get-go, there are three parts to each VorTech pump and it applies to all models.

1) The Driver: The brains of the pumps. It's the little box (little black box now...ha!) that has the multicolored dial and three operating buttons.
2) The Motor (Dry Side): It consists of the, well, the motor. Oh, and a long black cable that connects to.... The Driver
3) The Wet Side: It's that teeny tiny, shear, and aesthetically pleasing propeller housing that initially drew you to purchase the revolutionary MP40!

Lastly, the QuietDrive incorporates revolutionary technology to help achieve quieter motors and increased flow. Along with other improvements. That being said, I'll use the analogy that flipped a light switch for me to explain the QuietDrive Driver.

-Vehicles these days are equipped with internal computers. These can be used to run diagnostics and even MAKE IMPROVEMENTS to the vehicle's efficiency. Such is the QuietDrive Driver!

By improving the technology for how the QuietDrive Driver "talks" to The Motor(Dry Side), EcoTech was able to increase the efficiency of The Motor which equals...... Decreased Noise, improved efficiency! And that's JUST the Driver! Couple that driver with the new-improved Dry Side and Wet Side and you have the "...next evolution of the award winning VorTech Driver."

Like Apple making all of the cables work from phone model to model right? LOL no chance on that I say. Upgrade or die. Which really isn't a bad issue, unless your products are insanely priced.

EcoTech has really made this upgrade manageable for many of their current product users. To answer many of the speculations, YES there will be upgrade options for all the VorTech products.

The initial MAP for the MP40wQD will be set at $349, with the individual upgrade options at different prices.

Little disappointed I had heard that they where coming out with a new pump was hoping for a new design to compete with gyre etc

Ehhh, who needs a whole new pump design when you can create a "Gyre" mode? YES the VorTech signature pump modes have been expanded to include a "Gyre Mode". Exciting, no?!?

**I know there is much discussion about what gyre flow is but in my personal opinion/understanding, you can create the same flow patterns with just about any pump (if positioned and controlled properly)**. I don't want to to this thread into a gyre flow discussion, so we'll save that convo for the threads already posted. :)

I'll just keep buying everyone's used cheap mp40s. Noise isn't an issue in my "grow room" ;)

Yeah, but you could upgrade the driver to the QD driver and get instant improved efficiency as well as decreased noise!

Better yet, keep you MP40wES dry-side motor, upgrade to the MP40wQD Driver and MP40wQD Wet Side....and BAM! Increased Flow/Increased efficiency/Decreased noise!!

When can I buy one?

Great question @Maximus !! ;) Watch for the hype. I'm sure many outlets will jump on that story!

Another great question @ca1ore . I'll do my best to explain my understanding:

Most of the upgrade-able options will belong to the MP40wES, with interchangeable drivers, motors, and wet sides. (to a certain degree..there are a couple of combinations that CANNOT happen)

From what I understand, the MP10wES and MP60wES can be upgraded with the QuietDrive Driver.

Slightly disappointed on that. Listen to the tank as it is running. Is the quiet drive really going to make that much difference? I will stick to the old mp40 until they aren't available.

I can't personally comment on the sound difference yet, until I try it for myself, but when they say 90% noise reduction I have to say WOW! Being an owner of two MP40wES that operate in the most trafficked room in my house, the living room, I would immediately sign up for ANY sort of noise reduction! When my pumps are in Pulse Mode, I can hear them in the basement. There are many "sufferers" of loud VorTechs as is evident by threads about bearing modifications and some people getting rid of their VorTechs altogether. Personally, I bought my VorTechs for their aesthetics, durability, reliability, and reputation. If EcoTech comes out with an improved product that fixes these issues, without me having to buy a brand-new set, then count me IN !

Thanks All!

Randy

Last edited:

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most interesting part is that they are shipping already

Price and Availability
QD pumps are already shipping to EcoTech authorized dealers so hobbyist should be able to purchase all of the following models by the end of February 2015 for the following MAP (Minimum Advertised Price):
  • MP10QD: $235 (non-wireless QD version of the MP10)
  • MP10wQD:$285
  • MP40wQD $349
  • MP60wQD $675

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how the MP60QD will perform, the loudness of this pump is mostly from the wining of the cooling fan within the motor. The MP40QD is clearly a huge improvement!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back