Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We couldn't get a solid answer for that question, as it has been a hot topic of discussion amongst us PTT members who are avid Apex users.

Yea kinda of a bummer as that is really the only thing lacking. I seriously hope there not trying to force everyone onto reef link away from apex bc that would be a disaster:/

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea kinda of a bummer as that is really the only thing lacking.

Indeed, but it's a BIG one. Presumably it's just temporary. If the driver really does quieten the dry side down by 90% (and it's less than $100 for the upgrade) I'll be sorely tempted. Tough to go back to the cludgy buttons from Apex though :(

Last edited:

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely interested in upgrading the driver on my mp60 and mp40 and look forward to the quieter pumps. It is great news that EcoTech is releasing this update. It seems odd to take 10 years to fix a noise issue but, whatever. A little competition certainly causes existing manufacturers to look at their products and update them to stay competitive. I like this. I just think the use of the word "revolutionary" is stretching it A LOT. Maxi jet to MP40, that is revolutionary. MP40 to quieter MP40 is just evolution. They made a design change to the wet side, stronger pump on dry side and did a software update on the driver. Ok, I forgot to mention something about the cabling being thinner and more pliable but what am I missing? What is so revolutionary? This is just version 3.0.

One thing I find interesting is the desire to salvage some marketshare by changing long pulse to gyre mode. What has changed with this mode besides its name? In the current documentation, EcoTech has recommendation around 4 pumps to create a gyre which is significantly more expensive than just buying a gyre pump so what does this mode do differently than Long pulse?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Marketing copy = hyperbole!

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely interested in upgrading the driver on my mp60 and mp40 and look forward to the quieter pumps. It is great news that EcoTech is releasing this update. It seems odd to take 10 years to fix a noise issue but, whatever. A little competition certainly causes existing manufacturers to look at their products and update them to stay competitive. I like this. I just think the use of the word "revolutionary" is stretching it A LOT. Maxi jet to MP40, that is revolutionary. MP40 to quieter MP40 is just evolution. They made a design change to the wet side, stronger pump on dry side and did a software update on the driver. Ok, I forgot to mention something about the cabling being thinner and more pliable but what am I missing? What is so revolutionary? This is just version 3.0.

One thing I find interesting is the desire to salvage some marketshare by changing long pulse to gyre mode. What has changed with this mode besides its name? In the current documentation, EcoTech has recommendation around 4 pumps to create a gyre which is significantly more expensive than just buying a gyre pump so what does this mode do differently than Long pulse?
eg8r210 great points and questions!

From my understanding, the use of words like "revolutionize" are not to suggest that the new QuietDrive will turn the aquarium industry's view of pumps upside down. Rather, the technology used to operate the pump is revolutionary. These sentiments are evident in statements like:

"...revolutionary new drive system boasts increased efficiency and significantly reduced motor noise." (QuietDrive Information Packet)

"...a revolution in DC motor performance." (Jake Adams, Reef Builders)

Although, not being a mechanical engineer myself, I can only trust the claims from those who are. :)

I'm sure this has been talked to death in many other forums over the years.....but.

From my research, which hasn't been as extensive as it could have been (I blame my lack of a dream aquarium industry career with the freedom to obsess just a little more ;) ), the "gyre" flow idea started around 20051. I'm trying to find the exact date that the EcoSmart User Manual, rev. 1.0, was published but it seems to be the first pump to claim gyre-flow capability. To me, using the four pump configuration, that EcoTech suggests with Long Pulse Mode, would be more effective at producing a gyre without dead spots than the current leading gyre-flow pump. If you watch the demonstrations and review the graphic representations of the singular gyre-flow producing pump, you'll see a dead spot created directly underneath it. Conversely, stacking two VorTech pumps on either side of an aquarium and programming them to EcoTech's recommendations would seem to eliminate any dead spots throughout.

Of course this is all speculation on my part, seeing as I don't have all of these pieces of equipment to test my hypothesis, BUT the neutrally buoyant beads that are floating around the aquarium in my mind suggests I'm close.... :wink::nerd:

1)* Feature Article: Water Flow is More Important for Corals Than Light, Part V ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, based on what has been stated we are seeing an evolution of the pump rather than a revolution. As for the gyre mode, comparing 4 pumps at $400+ each to a single pump at $300 might not be apples to apples. :).

I am still excited to see some much desired upgrades (more power and quieter).

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, based on what has been stated we are seeing an evolution of the pump rather than a revolution. As for the gyre mode, comparing 4 pumps at $400+ each to a single pump at $300 might not be apples to apples. :).

I am still excited to see some much desired upgrades (more power and quieter).

I can agree with that. It is indeed an evolution of the VorTech, but a revolution of the driver technology perhaps? :) I can also agree that, from a price comparison standpoint, the two are miles apart as options for creating a gyre-flow. Yet, for long term users of the VorTechs, the other modes have proven to be very successful for growing healthy and thriving reefs. It comes down to user preference I suppose.

And yes, quieter pumps for me is VERY exciting!

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree with that. It is indeed an evolution of the VorTech, but a revolution of the driver technology perhaps? :) I can also agree that, from a price comparison standpoint, the two are miles apart as options for creating a gyre-flow. Yet, for long term users of the VorTechs, the other modes have proven to be very successful for growing healthy and thriving reefs. It comes down to user preference I suppose.

And yes, quieter pumps for me is VERY exciting!
Any videos from EcoTech to be released or just waiting for ReefStock?

OP
OP
RandoReefer

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, but it's a BIG one. Presumably it's just temporary. If the driver really does quieten the dry side down by 90% (and it's less than $100 for the upgrade) I'll be sorely tempted. Tough to go back to the cludgy buttons from Apex though :(

Yea kinda of a bummer as that is really the only thing lacking. I seriously hope there not trying to force everyone onto reef link away from apex bc that would be a disaster:/

It "looks" like we won't have to worry about this at launch. [emoji106]

Any videos from EcoTech to be released or just waiting for ReefStock?

Not that I've heard, yet.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Vortechs but the idea of having to buy 2+ to get the correct flow is just crazy. Its the main thing that turns me off from buying them.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just preordered a couple mp40's from Aquarium Specialty. I have a bad habit of jumping on the first product cycle without waiting for the kinks to be ironed out. With that said, does anyone foresee any issues that might come up with these, considering they are the first batch of new pumps?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a big fan of mp's since they came out look like these will be in my next setup. Have two 40's for years with no problems

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Vortechs but the idea of having to buy 2+ to get the correct flow is just crazy. Its the main thing that turns me off from buying them.

Not sure what you mean by 'the correct flow'? If you mean 'gyre' flow, then that's just the most recent set of new clothes for our dear emperor. I much prefer the chaotic flow that a pump like the vortech is very good at providing.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back