New way to beat dinoflagellates

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry, but that isn’t definitive. There are many reef aquariums, more in the past, that kept nutrients stripped without issue.
That’s absolutely correct, not just in the past many still do it successfully today as a method, meaning that there is some knowledge behind what they doing, they feed immensely they’re tanks and export the same, meaning that at any given point there is a abundance of nutrients, most people stop feeding they’re tanks as soon as they see a few green hairs of algae growing and deplete the systems out of nutrients. There’s a big difference between having a good import export system and depleting a system out of nutrients.
in addition I haven’t seen anyone being successful at reducing or eliminating invasive algaes by just depleting a system of nutrients. Not entirely sure on why it become a common practice.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I also disagree with the first statement. While many cases involve dinoflagellates surfacing after trying to eradicate nuisance algae, you also see a lot of cases of people that have them spontaneously arise on new dry rock and sand.
If you look at the residual nitrate and phosphates in those threads you could make the connection.
I’ve seen many where residual nutrients were just bottom out also creating the high abundance of Doc and N-Doc situation that dinoflagellates and Cyanobacteria need tho thrive.
We are a culture of blaming things but we rarely try and figure out why something happens.
it’s not just dry rock the same happens with live rock as long as the nutrient imbalance situation is made it doesn’t really matter what’s in the tank, if there is a spore, bacteria or cell they will bloom.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s absolutely correct, not just in the past many still do it successfully today as a method, meaning that there is some knowledge behind what they doing, they feed immensely they’re tanks and export the same, meaning that at any given point there is a abundance of nutrients, most people stop feeding they’re tanks as soon as they see a few green hairs of algae growing and deplete the systems out of nutrients. There’s a big difference between having a good import export system and depleting a system out of nutrients.
in addition I haven’t seen anyone being successful at reducing or eliminating invasive algaes by just depleting a system of nutrients. Not entirely sure on why it become a common practice.
I do agree with this and I think we are mostly saying the same thing. I think a well rounded aquarium/ reef ecosystem has a high import and export of nutrients/ large fish load while still maintaining low N and P. Combine this with live rock, sand, and mud from the ocean and a large sized /diverse refugium.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree with this and I think we are mostly saying the same thing. I think a well rounded aquarium/ reef ecosystem has a high import and export of nutrients/ large fish load while still maintaining low N and P. Combine this with live rock, sand, and mud from the ocean and a large sized /diverse refugium.
I agree and what I find difficult and some times frustrating is that most new comers to the hobby just copy the residual low nutrients and forget about the import export. Those amazing tanks they see on YouTube probably will see more food in a day than they’re tank would see in a month.

tgray9937

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what you are saying. I said a prayer before introducing the live sand and mud. But I kept thinking about all those folks with live rock from the ocean and folks like @Paul B who have had success with ocean water and taking an overall less sanitized approach.

Im not advocating one method or another, just reporting my success because this is such an issue with varied success with different methods. I tried the blackouts and the bottles and UV but they didn’t work. I even tried just the filter floss blackout prior to the live sand and that didn’t work either. This method did work for me and it would be interesting to hear any other success with this method.

Again, the dinos are not *gone*, they never will be. My hope is that they don’t bloom out of control again because there are a host of other microbes competing for those nutrients.

tgray9937

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does work, I know this is a old post but the science has caught up. I had dinoflagellates in my sand bed and I bought aquabiomics gulf live sand and I added on top of the dino sand and the dinoflagellates went away in around 2 weeks. My tank is so clean my cuc needs to be retired or increase my lighting. The glass, rocks and sand are clean. I did test before adding the sand. I plan on testing again soon. Paul b rocks!!!

Screenshot_20240216_233525_Chrome.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does work, I know this is a old post but the science has caught up. I had dinoflagellates in my sand bed and I bought aquabiomics gulf live sand and I added on top of the dino sand and the dinoflagellates went away in around 2 weeks. My tank is so clean my cuc needs to be retired or increase my lighting. The glass, rocks and sand are clean. I did test before adding the sand. I plan on testing again soon. Paul b rocks!!!

Screenshot_20240216_233525_Chrome.jpg
That's awesome. I didn't know that aquabiomics reports provided this sort of info now. I'd love to see the full report, if that's possible?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back