New wrasse!

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I just got a new wrasse on 8/20.
I already have a fairy wrasse and he is full grown.
I added a female (about 3”) leopard wrasse in an acclimation box with sand and lots of sea lettuce (covered in pods and just extra hiding) she was in the box on the side of the tank for about a full 48hrs.
on 8/22 I dropped the box (with her in it) into the display and let her acclimate at the bottom of the tank (the top of the acclimation box is open)
On 8/23 I dumped the acclimation box and removed it from the tank but made sure the sea lettuce was still in that spot so that she could have a home base.
Introduction went pretty well with the fairy. They danced around each other for a while and seemed to enjoy each other’s company. My lemon peel angel tends to get mildly aggressive when feeding time but all other times she is quite timid.
I have not seen the leopard wrasse all day today, and I know that this is extremely normal behavior.
I am curious if there is a way for me to tell where in the tank she has buried herself. Are there any signs of sandbed disruption that will allow me to pinpoint where in the tank she is at (just so I can keep an eye on that spot)
I have some cyano (no much) growing on the sand and I like to stir up the sand Bed once a day, and I do not want to accidentally bump her and cause more harm than good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice fish and generally can be found within rocks. They are also jumpers so assure you have some method of covering tank (glass, screen, etc) to prevent this. Rake the sand if needed to locate her if she's in there- no need to stir and disturb bacteria

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely you won't see any sign of where she's buried so until she comes back out of the sand, please don't stir your sand bed. Like you said, accidentally disrupting her will stress her and drive her back into the sand longer. Once she feels safe she'll come out and you'll be able to stir your sand again ;)

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from the gym.
little girl was out!!
Seems to be adjusting extremely well. She doesn’t even swim away when I walk up to the tank.
Already fed mysis around 12, but just did again since she was out and she’s eating it.
Honestly, easiest transition for a fish ever. Even easier than my clowns.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider treating her with prazipro for internal parasites. It is reefsafe and easily removed with carbon and a water change. 2 total treatments 5-7 days apart.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider treating her with prazipro for internal parasites. It is reefsafe and easily removed with carbon and a water change. 2 total treatments 5-7 days apart.

Already did one for the fairy wrasse!
I am going to monitor her for a few days before I treat the tank again.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back