Newb help......

MMERITT28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am in the process of planning my 120 build. I will be transferring my 75 gallon contents and getting more into SPS. Can anyone tell me the plusses and minus's to running a calcium reactor? I think this is the way I want to go from all the reading that I have been doing but would like a little more input.

Thanks for your time,
Mike

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on doing a SPS dominated tank a Calcium reactor will make things a lot easier. We run a CA reactor on our display tank and it works wonders. I don't know what we would have done without it. The Alk and CA demand are tremendously high in that tank. We are constantly doing small water changes with Tropic Marin Bio Actif to replenish the elements. I would strongly recommend a CA reactor.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in your other intro thread I just did what you are doing. I don't use a cal reactor on my 120, I just dose 2 part to keep up with the demand. I do agree though a reactor would make it a lot nicer and keep things really stable.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a reactor makes it so you have less things to worry about the prob tells the reactor if you need more calcium, instead of a test kit telling you and you adding it, it cuts out the middle man(you)

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure it doesn't tell the reactor if you need more calcium, you still need to test.

Yeah, if we could only get equipment so smart, it would make this hobby a walk in the park.

To the OP, make sure you do your research on different options, as a calcium reactor isn't the only way to keep calcium stable. I personally am a big proponent of Kalk reactors, but thats just me. What works for one person may not work for you, so do some research, ask questions, and decide upon yourself, and your budget, on how you will do accomplish it :)

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you still have to test with a Cal rex and adjust till its dialed in perfect, here is a quick understanding of what it does now how it works

lets say every hour you lose .015 of cal from you tank so you where at 450 now your at 449.85 ( which is a untestable number) it drips SW that in in the REX into your sump at a rate you need to adjust threw trial and error to replace that .015. so if you fine tune it just right you dont need to dose and you will have a stable system but fine tuning them is hard and takes a while for most people.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think a calcium reactor is an awesome instrument to have on a tank. my only issue with it is the price. the majority of them are pretty pricey i am sure that one day I will have one. I dont see very many minuses as i believe they not only keep your calcium up i believe they also help with mag or another supplement you need in the tank not 100 percent sure but im sure someone can chime in. the way i see it if you can afford one go for it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 173 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back