Newbie - 50Gal Reef Build

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

Hoping to glean some knowledge here, I am working from home due to COVID and would like to resurrect my highschool 50gal tank that's been sitting in storage for the last 15 years. The original build was a fish-only saltwater tank with a hang on filter. The fish ended up getting a disease and dying after 2 years, I have been researching for the last 2 weeks I am now surprised they lasted that long.

I would like to do it right this time and was hoping for some feedback on parts before I place an order. I am hoping to have reef and fish, havn't decided what though.

I have a 50 Gal tank that's 48Lx12Wx18H (I filled and checked for leaks), the 30Lx10Wx14H sump that should fit in the stand and verified with the sump manufacturer the return pump should fit (it's close).

The tank lid sits 6" above water line, I was considering ReefBreeders PHOTON 48-V2+ based on a par video Bulk Reef Supply did showing fairly consistent PAR coverage for the center 12" of a 48"x24" tank (photo attached).

The bill of materials has 2 skimmers listed, not sure which would be better (or another?), the media reactor is for carbon, will also need to add testing kits and plumbing.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

BOM.PNG
Light Par.PNG
20200811_104931.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice looking tank and shopping list.

welcome65.jpg

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I'd probably go with different pumps for water movement. A single Maxspec Gyre on the opposite side of the returns from the sump would be my choice. No experience with either skimmer, but the Reef Octopus has a good reputation from what I remember. The RODI unit seems a bit on the expensive side, but I've always been kinda cheap. I've survived with a $180 unit from Amazon and purchased my own resin and filters.

I would skip the "Real Reef Rock" if it's from the company I'm thinking. It's just a marketing brand name and not actual "real reef rock". I'd save money and either get dry rock for 1/3 the price or buy actual "live" rock for about $125 per 20lbs or the best of both worlds and mix them. In six months it will all look the same and live rock will help you cycle much faster.

So, with the money saved on the rock and RODI unit you could get a the Maxspec pump and extra salt and gear. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Aessedai

Aessedai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Maxxum - Thank you for looking over the build, I like your thinking. The Maxspec pumps look much better. I'll also take a look at the difference in rock prices and the advantage of a 4 vs 5 stage RO/DI.

Again, appreciate the advice.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R!!! Looks like you’ve got a good plan. +1 on the rock advice above

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back