Newbie 60-Gallon Cube Build

TideNumOne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be one of the longest builds in history – in the amount of elapsed time that it is going to take me. I have done freshwater tanks for over 40 years, but this is my first saltwater reef tank – my daughter wanted to have starfish. I will also be getting most of my equipment second hand/off eBay.

The equipment I have acquired so far:
  • 60-gallon cube (24x24x24)
  • 2 x Kessil A350 lights
  • Eshopps Eclipse overflow box (large)
  • Eshopps RS-75 reef sump
  • SC Aquariums SCA-301 protein skimmer (Looking for a larger one)
  • Return pump (no name, looking for a better one)
  • Power head (no name, looking for a MP10wQD)
Possibly still add:
  • Aquarium controller
  • Refugium & refgium light
  • Auto feeder
  • Test kits
So far, I have been working on the live rock:
  • Sat in the sun for two to three weeks
  • Soaked in a 10% bleach solution for a week
Next, it will do the following:
  • Sit in the sun for a week in a half (pictures below, the fan is to keep air movement on them)
  • Soak in RO water for a week
  • Soak in saltwater for two to three weeks; I will do a few nitrate & ammonia test during this time to learn how and make sure it is at zero
During this time, I will also be working on building the stand…trying to copy the design done by Greybeard (minus the tile).
IMG_3580.jpg
IMG_3581.jpg

OP
OP
T

TideNumOne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: December 2, 2018

I have started to play with the rock display. I also decided to try to hollow out the rocks as much as possible to give the fish a place to play/hide.

I started with a chisel, trying to be careful…but did not take long before I cracked one of the big rocks in half. Not to worry, as I can glue back but wanted to look for a new process. So, I ordered some cheap hole saws & blades from Amazon, they are working great –but slow as I am only taking a little at a time. But I like the results so far. The first picture show the current state, with the rock cracked in half but now hollowed out - as seen in the last picture.

I have also decided to sell the two Kessil lights (A350W & A360W) and the controller and order a new Kessil A360X & Spectral Controller. Still looking at my sump, pumps, skimmer & powerheads to see if I upgrade or not before I build this out.

Funny item – Talking with my neighbor this week, he asked me when would I have fish in the tank? I said two to three months; he had a very blank face and did not know what to say
One.jpg
Two.jpg
Three.jpg
Four.jpg

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back