Newbie-A Few Questions

dagreatgazoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,
Long time lurker, 2nd post on R2R. I have a few questions regarding my potential new system/reefing in general. As a quick background, I have experience with freshwater systems, but not with saltwater. With that said...here goes. :)

RODI Unit--I have a well/onsite septic system. There is a whole house filter with a 5 micron filter that is changed every 3-4 months. What RODI unit should I be looking at? More than likely I'll add a booster pump. I'm leaning towards a BRS 6 stage water saver at this point. Open to other suggestions.

Water changes/water removal-maybe an odd question here. Since I have a septic system, I'm not sure I want to dump salt water down my drain/into my tanks/sand mound. Does anyone else do this and if so, does it create any problems? If not, how do you dispose of salt water. It would be down the drain if I had public sewer.

I'm leaning towards a a Red Sea Reefer Deluxe system. Either the 250 or 300 G2. Still debating size. The new G2's seem to have solid reviews from that I've seen.

I like the flexibility/expandability of these systems. Eventually, I would be adding the Reefmat 500(necessary from the start??), and also a refugium. Maybe a skimmer if/as needed.
I also like the ReefBeat app integration for their LED's, Reefwave pumps and Dosing systems(down the road). What size ReefWave should I get? Is the 25 enough flow or better to buy the 45 and dial them back. Are their LED's solid?

Heaters--how many? I'm thinking 2 for redundancy. Also, is there something I can use to control/automate/monitor? I don't think that's part of the Reefbeat app

Rock--I want to start the tank with live rock. My LFS sells Reel Reef Bioactive Cultured Live Rock and Caribsea Life Rock Cultured Live Rock for $6.99/lb. Any other suggestions/places to purchase?

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more as I continue to educate myself and get closer to buying a system.

Thanks for reading!

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,
Long time lurker, 2nd post on R2R. I have a few questions regarding my potential new system/reefing in general. As a quick background, I have experience with freshwater systems, but not with saltwater. With that said...here goes. :)

RODI Unit--I have a well/onsite septic system. There is a whole house filter with a 5 micron filter that is changed every 3-4 months. What RODI unit should I be looking at? More than likely I'll add a booster pump. I'm leaning towards a BRS 6 stage water saver at this point. Open to other suggestions.

Water changes/water removal-maybe an odd question here. Since I have a septic system, I'm not sure I want to dump salt water down my drain/into my tanks/sand mound. Does anyone else do this and if so, does it create any problems? If not, how do you dispose of salt water. It would be down the drain if I had public sewer.

I'm leaning towards a a Red Sea Reefer Deluxe system. Either the 250 or 300 G2. Still debating size. The new G2's seem to have solid reviews from that I've seen.

I like the flexibility/expandability of these systems. Eventually, I would be adding the Reefmat 500(necessary from the start??), and also a refugium. Maybe a skimmer if/as needed.
I also like the ReefBeat app integration for their LED's, Reefwave pumps and Dosing systems(down the road). What size ReefWave should I get? Is the 25 enough flow or better to buy the 45 and dial them back. Are their LED's solid?

Heaters--how many? I'm thinking 2 for redundancy. Also, is there something I can use to control/automate/monitor? I don't think that's part of the Reefbeat app

Rock--I want to start the tank with live rock. My LFS sells Reel Reef Bioactive Cultured Live Rock and Caribsea Life Rock Cultured Live Rock for $6.99/lb. Any other suggestions/places to purchase?

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more as I continue to educate myself and get closer to buying a system.

Thanks for reading!

RODI unit - Can you test your well water ahead of time? You might not need a 6 stage if it's OK. Some people with wells just run a DI unit with the well producing 20-25 TDS and have great tanks. I mean you can't OVERDO the RODI but you can underdo it.

Water changes - this is a hot debate. I'm a WC believer. I try and do 10-15% weekly. I don't "moonshine" so for me it's peace of mind. I'm not saying no WC can't be done, but it takes a bit more nuance IMHO. For disposal remember if you dump it in the yard it's gonna kill your grass/plants. I can't comment on impact on the septic system, my father in law puts in septic tanks so maybe I'll ask him if I see him. Good question.

I would start with a skimmer, add stuff as you go. I don't run filter socks because I try and not feed corals and let them do their own thing. The ocean is full of particulate.

I ran a reef wave and I regretted getting the smaller size due to the spread. I think they both have similar power but the 45 is wider and will move a wider sheet of water, but in a 54 gallon it might be overkill? If the front is say 3.5 - 4' long I would probably go a lil bigger.

Heaters - buy the titanium elements and run 2 through an inkbird, BRS has the schwego (sp?) brand make them for them. They are rock solid. That will give you plenty of emergency protection.

As long as the rock is in water and has been cycled and in there for a couple weeks/months then it'll be fine. If you are starting with dry rock try and find a local reefer that'll give you some rock from there tank and/or get a trash can and run that rock in saltwater for about 2 months with a pump.

Happy reefing!

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning,

Thanks for reading!

Welcome to saltwater reef keeping!

BRS 6 stage water saver RODI is what we use and love it.
Red Sea Reefers are great tanks!
I'd start with a skimmer and add fuge later.
Redundancy is key: back up pumps, heaters, lights
Also consider what your plan is if you lose power.
Depending on what fish you keep, consider a cover/lid for jumpers.
Starting a new tank with live rock is the way to go. Of course, I'd recommend ocean aquacultured sand & rock.

Enjoy the journey!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes/water removal-maybe an odd question here. Since I have a septic system, I'm not sure I want to dump salt water down my drain/into my tanks/sand mound. Does anyone else do this and if so, does it create any problems?
I have a septic system and everything goes into it. I have only been reefing for 6 years or so but haven't seen any problems. Water changes have varied and it for the last few years about 30 gal a week. I will note tho that my septic is not like any I have had in the past. House was built in 1997 and I have never emptied the tank even with 4 girls living here. Toilet paper for those with no girls is the biggest contributor to septics filling. I guess I must have some awesome bacteria. I think I did dump a bottle of something in years ago that was supposed to promote growth so maybe it works?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 57 43.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back