Welcome aboard!

forrest-gump-hello.gif

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Kyle. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Kyle. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’
Thanks!

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I like puffers but they would eat my shrimp so I think I'll keep away from them
I'm falling in love with him fast! Although like you I want/need shrimp (Aiptasia), so if I can get him treated and healthy again then he's off to the LFS :(

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, after 1.5 weeks the ammonia level has dropped to zero in my tank over the last 2 days! :) thought it was never going to come down! Now I have very high levels of nitrite and nitrate.... I know it depends on a lot of factors, but any idea how long nitrite might take to drop? With a 340ltr tank approx (incl sump). Is it Ok to do weekly changes of around 15% (50 litrs) of LFS saltwater?

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, after 1.5 weeks the ammonia level has dropped to zero in my tank over the last 2 days! :) thought it was never going to come down! Now I have very high levels of nitrite and nitrate.... I know it depends on a lot of factors, but any idea how long nitrite might take to drop? With a 340ltr tank approx (incl sump). Is it Ok to do weekly changes of around 15% (50 litrs) of LFS saltwater?
Until your Nitrite starts to drop, water changes would be counterproductive. You need the Nitrites to feed the bacteria that convert Nitrites to Nitrates. Once your Nitrite level drops, you have established your bacterial filtration. Then doing a water change is usually a good idea to reduce the Nitrate levels.

There is no formula I know of to determine how long the cycle will take. It is usually at least as long as the initial phase though.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I'm super excited to say I've set up my first ever saltwater aquarium. I bought it over the weekend, 300 ltr (and maybe 30ltr sump) Aqua one (second hand). It was already established with a selection of corals, rocks, a porcupine puffer, blue chromis, several blue legged hermit crabs, a few snails, one starfish, and a lot of Aiptasia

I had to transfer everything to my home and set it all up last night. Corals are opening and seem OK, puffer has ich I think, and after testing, my ammonia and nitrate levels are high!

A lot to try and tackle for a beginner! I changed 50 litrs sw after the move. Kept original sand and most water.

Not sure what I should prioritise first! Ammonia I guess?

Screenshot_20230304_101127_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230304_101109_Chrome.jpg 16781934875658740900795858395131.jpg 16781935184414333120400412893688.jpg
Uh I think the puffer may have velvet… thats what my fish looked like when my tank had a velvet outbreak. #fishmedic

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh I think the puffer may have velvet… thats what my fish looked like when my tank had a velvet outbreak. #fishmedic
Turns out it is ich, he's still alive for now. Treatment taking so long to arrive but it's due in next day or so. QT tank setup and ready. Poor wee guy has been suffering for weeks now.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome - The good news is that if it's been suffering for weeks - it may have some partial immunity. I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this - but perhaps. The picture shows (to me) a fairly significant disease. I would suggest you move the fish to a QT/hospital tank (not sure where it is now) - with corals hypo salinity is not a possibility. Does the fish look sick currently (besides the spots)? There are a number of opinions out there about puffers and copper - many of which are not well documented. Will ask @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 to weigh in - before you get medications - I would hospitalize - and lower salinity some.

Additionally this does not help any of the fish you already have - which will also need to be treated (if the puffer is the only one - of course this is a non-issue). Welcome to R2R!!!!!! Again.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome - The good news is that if it's been suffering for weeks - it may have some partial immunity. I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this - but perhaps. The picture shows (to me) a fairly significant disease. I would suggest you move the fish to a QT/hospital tank (not sure where it is now) - with corals hypo salinity is not a possibility. Does the fish look sick currently (besides the spots)? There are a number of opinions out there about puffers and copper - many of which are not well documented. Will ask @Jay Hemdal and @vetteguy53081 to weigh in - before you get medications - I would hospitalize - and lower salinity some.

Additionally this does not help any of the fish you already have - which will also need to be treated (if the puffer is the only one - of course this is a non-issue). Welcome to R2R!!!!!! Again.
He perked up for a while but has went downhill badly this last 2 days. Staying at the top and won't eat. Eyes have gone cloudy again and his upper lip looks to be receding back? Think it's wearing him down now :(

Jay had already suggested coppersafe which is on the way. Didn't want to move him to the hospital tank until I had the treatment to avoid unnecessary stress, but I will tomorrow. How much should I lower salinity by? Currently sitting around 1.025. Have a wee chromis which will be treated too. Then fallow DT for 76 days.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He perked up for a while but has went downhill badly this last 2 days. Staying at the top and won't eat. Eat have gone cloudy again and his upper lip looks to be receding back? Think it's wearing him down now :(

Jay had already suggested coppersafe which is on the way. Didn't want to move him to the hospital tank until I had the treatment to avoid unnecessary stress, but I will tomorrow. How much should I lower salinity by? Currently sitting around 1.025. Have a wee chromis which will be treated too. Then fallow DT for 76 days.
IMHO - and you can confirm with @Jay Hemdal - transfer to a hospital tank - after a FW dip - and reduce salinity- I would also add an antibiotic - such as maracyn - as it seems like it could be a bacterial infection in addition

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back