Newbie foolish mistake

fromdiscustoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

im new to reef tanks so please bear with me. Ive made the change from Discus to reef and need as much help in laymans terms until i get my head round anything.
So ive a 60litre tank in my apartment. Biggest im allowed for now . Ai prime hd 16 light with live rock and sand. Set up about 3 weeks ago.

I went to my lfs yesterday and tested my water and the ammonia and nitires were through the roof. Now this makes sense as the cycle is still on going? Correct?

foolishly i forgot to mention this to them and they suggested water change and 1ml bacto blend everyday for 3 days.

came home did 10L water change to realise ive probly just restarted my cycle?

so today i just added 1 ml of bactoblend and leaving it too it.
tank seems to have some algae starting to grow on back wall also

tank has 2 clowns and a G/B chromis

any advice guys

D

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be easy to fix, easy.

Were the rocks you brought home wet or dry, when this tank was set up

To discern ammonia status we need a tank pic, not a test reading, as the entry level test kits produce false readings at the rate of a hundred instances per day lol I bet nothing is wrong, or was wrong, as no dead fish are reported

If you brought home wet rocks, skip cycle rocks from a pet store, let us know and post pics. If they're dry when you brought home that's not live rock.

OP
OP
F

fromdiscustoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have phos, nitrites and kh test kits at home. LFS tested yesterday and said ammonia was off the charts. Would this be part of the cycle through.
Im using an external cannister filter with bioballs, micromec, carbon and floss. I also have a internal tank filter containing the same bar carbon. Lfs gave me polyfilter water purifier to add to my filter to bring nitiries down.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key terms:

3 weeks

Algae

Living animals

This reef is 100% cycled even before pics. If you used dry rock alone they couldn't be alive at three weeks, either bottle bac or true wet rock was used. Where's my ammonia hogtying meme this one took forty seconds

Stop dosing anything in response to the mis testing. Can't wait for pics

When this is cleared up with tank pics I'll need you to email this thread to your lfs for reaction training. We have a study where false ammonia testing spurns bottle bac purchase falsely.

What is the name of the lfs employee who sold you bottle bac i want their name, address and pin and the high school they went to

OP
OP
F

fromdiscustoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Key terms:

3 weeks

Algae

Living animals

This reef is 100% cycled even before pics. If you used dry rock alone they couldn't be alive at three weeks, either bottle bac or true wet rock was used. Where's my ammonia hogtying meme this one took forty seconds

Stop dosing anything in response to the mis testing. Can't wait for pics

When this is cleared up with tank pics I'll need you to email this thread to your lfs for reaction training. We have a study where false ammonia testing spurns bottle bac purchase falsely.

What is the name of the lfs employee who sold you bottle bac i want their name, address and pin and the high school they went to
Thanks for the reply so quickly dude!

the rock was dry when i brought it home but ive been adding bactoblend so this would be the the bottle bac?

So you reckon that the tank is cycled?
My fish are swimming eating and thriving fine.
Wasnt sure about the false ammonia but makes sense now.
Ill take pics shortly and upload

OP
OP
F

fromdiscustoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply so quickly dude!

the rock was dry when i brought it home but ive been adding bactoblend so this would be the the bottle bac?

So you reckon that the tank is cycled?
My fish are swimming eating and thriving fine.
Wasnt sure about the false ammonia but makes sense now.
Ill take pics shortly and upload
I was seriously considering reverting back to FW

OP
OP
F

fromdiscustoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White and blue light attached

Attachments

• 4CCCB7F0-9310-427F-8A35-856C0485F111.jpeg
    4CCCB7F0-9310-427F-8A35-856C0485F111.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 95A3DE49-7E9E-4292-96EF-C451804C668F.jpeg
    95A3DE49-7E9E-4292-96EF-C451804C668F.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 51

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

im new to reef tanks so please bear with me. Ive made the change from Discus to reef and need as much help in laymans terms until i get my head round anything.
So ive a 60litre tank in my apartment. Biggest im allowed for now . Ai prime hd 16 light with live rock and sand. Set up about 3 weeks ago.

I went to my lfs yesterday and tested my water and the ammonia and nitires were through the roof. Now this makes sense as the cycle is still on going? Correct?

foolishly i forgot to mention this to them and they suggested water change and 1ml bacto blend everyday for 3 days.

came home did 10L water change to realise ive probly just restarted my cycle?

so today i just added 1 ml of bactoblend and leaving it too it.
tank seems to have some algae starting to grow on back wall also

tank has 2 clowns and a G/B chromis

any advice guys

D
Easiest ammonia stabilizer is actually white distilled vinegar (1ml = 8 drops per 38 liter, daily).
Water changes are never a bad thing. Yes, they slow down the cycle a little, but as long as the balance and temperature is right, you’ll be fine.
Nitrate spikes most often come from overfeeding. Rule of thumb to news aquarists is to only put 20% of the amount you think you should, but feed twice a day.
definitely get a test kit. Also, using Chemical-pure Blue Nano filter packets are a game-changer for water stability. It will combat diatom, algae and purple slime, maybe prevent it entirely.
Go to Bulk Reef Supply’s website and check out their 5 Minute tank series. I haven’t found a better resource, though they tend to promote the most expensive products, so once you see something you may want/need, don’t be afraid to look up other brands as alternatives.

...I hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fromdiscustoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest ammonia stabilizer is actually white distilled vinegar (1ml per 38 liter).
Water changes are never a bad thing. Yes, they slow down the cycle a little, but as long as the balance and temperature is right, you’ll be fine.
Nitrate spikes most often come from overfeeding. Rule of thumb to news aquarists is to only put 20% of the amount you think you should, but feed twice a day.
definitely get a test kit. Also, using Chemical-pure Blue Nano filter packets are a game-changer for water stability.
Go to Bulk Reef Supply’s website and check out their 5 Minute tank series. I haven’t found a better resource, though they tend to promote the most expensive products, so once you see something you may want/need, don’t be afraid to look up other brands as alternatives.

...I hope this helps.
Thatsbeen a great help. Thank you. Started watching BRS this afternoon and will def try the vinegar also.
Good idea on the food. Ive been cutting frozen cube food into 1/4s and using that much.
Thanks for your reply!!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% cycled. a lysmata shrimp wont make 24 hours in an uncycled tank thats been fed. weakest animal we could keep as an invert in reefing. You will not need to test for ammonia, or nitrite for the rest of the life of this tank. no more bac needed.

even nitrate will mis read wildly, Id kick that out too unless you want to buy a $200 digital nitrate meter.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey is it cool if I add this thread to the false stuck cycle thread, we want other readers to be able to head off the concern before they get to it

I cant fault the lfs too bad :) since it was dry setup, they mean well and want the best safety for the tank agreed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fromdiscustoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% cycled. a lysmata shrimp wont make 24 hours in an uncycled tank thats been fed. weakest animal we could keep as an invert in reefing. You will not need to test for ammonia, or nitrite for the rest of the life of this tank. no more bac needed.

even nitrate will mis read wildly, Id kick that out too unless you want to buy a $200 digital nitrate meter.
Wahoo!! So just water changes as normal. Is there a rule of thumb for reef water changes?
Jesus no. 200$ readers are safe in the shop.
Thanks so much for all your help. Its a great relief.

now to get my first GSP coral!!

yep happy to move thread whereever its best suited

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the nice part about a cycle is any degree of water changes cant hurt the cycle

there's actually millions of cells of filter bac cast off in all reef water, all freshwater tank water, but they're expendable and those on the surfaces stick behind. if you continue ammonia testing you'll see rises after water changes due to organics stirred up affecting the accuracy of the test, which is why its better to not test for ammonia and nitrite any further, as long as this reef stays wet they can't drift out of spec. nitrite is neutral we dont even care about it in any stage, the ammonia control stays locked in as long as the tank stays wet.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back