Newbie From Maryland

Wamland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Just joined from Maryland. This is my first attempt at a Saltwater tank. I have been running multiple freshwater tanks for over a decade with everything from shrimp to discus. After taking a trip to Grand Cayman last year and enjoying snorkling, I finally decided to convert one of my 20 gallon tanks from fresh to salt.
Whole new world for me and it's always been a bit daunting. So I am looking around for tips and tricks and hoping to try and avoid as many pitfalls as I can. I love planted tanks in all of my freshwater tanks and I'm going to be getting into corals as well as some fish and crustaceans. I've put in my first coral, a pulsing Xinia and it has made it through acclimation so far.
I added a pistol shrimp and a Watchmen Goby yesterday and they have synched up nicely. Was a bit worried as the fish store told me it was a 50/50 shot. The shrimp has taken to digging what appears to be every grain of sand in the tank with the Goby keeping a watchful eye. It truly is a blast to watch them and one of the kids has decided to name them Penn And Teller. It fits well.
Looking forward to learning a lot and meeting new folks.
Thanks
Will

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Just joined from Maryland. This is my first attempt at a Saltwater tank. I have been running multiple freshwater tanks for over a decade with everything from shrimp to discus. After taking a trip to Grand Cayman last year and enjoying snorkling, I finally decided to convert one of my 20 gallon tanks from fresh to salt.
Whole new world for me and it's always been a bit daunting. So I am looking around for tips and tricks and hoping to try and avoid as many pitfalls as I can. I love planted tanks in all of my freshwater tanks and I'm going to be getting into corals as well as some fish and crustaceans. I've put in my first coral, a pulsing Xinia and it has made it through acclimation so far.
I added a pistol shrimp and a Watchmen Goby yesterday and they have synched up nicely. Was a bit worried as the fish store told me it was a 50/50 shot. The shrimp has taken to digging what appears to be every grain of sand in the tank with the Goby keeping a watchful eye. It truly is a blast to watch them and one of the kids has decided to name them Penn And Teller. It fits well.
Looking forward to learning a lot and meeting new folks.
Thanks
Will

Hi Will and Welcome! Glad you joined. Its a great family hobby! Glad the salty bug has bitten.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Maryland:

Last year I was back East and took my mom to visit Dr Mac's amazing facility (and then we had crabs at Harris' before coming back over Bay Bridge) - wish I lived closer to go back:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R! You’ll find that people here are friendly, knowledgeable, and ready to help. We’re glad you joined! Hopefully you’ll start a build thread so we can see your reef as it progresses.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back