OP
chrissylulz

chrissylulz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is only the beginning …
There will always be more questions but to take your time and tackle one obstacle at a time .
If you’re confused feel free to ask questions in appropriate thread places .
Oh, I’m sure. I’m definitely getting to the point where I feel like I need to start doing something rather than reading/watching videos on how to do things. There’s only so much you can learn that way.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I’m sure. I’m definitely getting to the point where I feel like I need to start doing something rather than reading/watching videos on how to do things. There’s only so much you can learn that way.
This goes to say the best lesson is self taught . Once you understand the basic theory you still need practical experiences which only comes on time
The best advice …. Start slow , fill your tank and let it run focusing on water chemistry , maintaining stability , water changes and testing .
slowly add your livestock .
I will say do your research with what conditions each intended animal requires and thrives .
for example seahorses require plenty of food , lower flow ,
Some fish and even corals require complete opposite

so if you’re planning a seahorse display , focus on them and other animals that thrive in similar conditions ( pipe fish are one )
It’s not impossible to do a reef but to focus more on a seahorse specific system you might have better luck .

again as I posted before , feel free to ask as many questions as needed .

OP
OP
chrissylulz

chrissylulz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This goes to say the best lesson is self taught . Once you understand the basic theory you still need practical experiences which only comes on time
The best advice …. Start slow , fill your tank and let it run focusing on water chemistry , maintaining stability , water changes and testing .
slowly add your livestock .
I will say do your research with what conditions each intended animal requires and thrives .
for example seahorses require plenty of food , lower flow ,
Some fish and even corals require complete opposite

so if you’re planning a seahorse display , focus on them and other animals that thrive in similar conditions ( pipe fish are one )
It’s not impossible to do a reef but to focus more on a seahorse specific system you might have better luck .

again as I posted before , feel free to ask as many questions as needed .
Yeah, exactly. Thanks! I appreciate the advice.
Focusing on keeping the water parameters good and stable will be my top priority. And I know a reef tank will be tougher with seahorses because of the lower temperature of the tank, but I already have a list of fish/inverts/corals that will be compatible with them/the water conditions.

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome! I also had a freshwater tank for a few years before switching to saltwater. You definitely seem like you have a better idea and more knowledge than myself when I started over a year ago, but this place is great there are some great experienced people who will help as much as they can, many of whom have already replied on here. It’s an exciting and rewarding journey, have fun and good luck!
Hi everyone! Thought I’d finally introduce myself after lurking on these forums for a year. My name is Chrissy and I’m from the Pittsburgh area. I’ve been in the fish-keeping hobby for 6ish years now, but up until this point I’ve only had small freshwater tanks. For the past year or two, I’ve been planning my first saltwater tank. It’s going to be a 4ft, 150 gallon seahorse and fish mixed reef tank. A bit ambitious for a newbie, I know, but I like a challenge. Plus, I feel about as prepared as I can be with all the research I’ve been doing.

Excited to finally start setting it up so I can share it with all of you! I’m sure I’ll be posting a ton of questions, so I appreciate any help I can get! Also, curious how many of you are from around this area :)

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Napoleon Dynamite Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Welcome to Reef2Reef

OP
OP
chrissylulz

chrissylulz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome! I also had a freshwater tank for a few years before switching to saltwater. You definitely seem like you have a better idea and more knowledge than myself when I started over a year ago, but this place is great there are some great experienced people who will help as much as they can, many of whom have already replied on here. It’s an exciting and rewarding journey, have fun and good luck!
Aw, thanks so much! I appreciate it. Good to know I seem at least somewhat knowledgeable. My 48537-page note I’ve been keeping from all of my research would agree with you :face-with-tears-of-joy: (exaggerating, but it is ridiculously long)

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw, thanks so much! I appreciate it. Good to know I seem at least somewhat knowledgeable. My 48537-page note I’ve been keeping from all of my research would agree with you :face-with-tears-of-joy: (exaggerating, but it is ridiculously long)
Well in that case you’ll also be very useful for people such as I. If only I had taken notes when I began lol.

OP
OP
chrissylulz

chrissylulz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks are deceiving have you been in there?
Yep, a couple times. The inside looks worse than the outside. There’s constantly dead fish in tanks. It looks like the only thing they really take care of are their display tanks. I don’t know if they’re understaffed or what.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back