Newbie from Sacramento

Rozlyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this forum since January and I'm finally ready to begin my saltwater journey. I'm absolutely terrified and I feel that I know way to many things but at the same time, know nothing at all. The first steps of my journey began in January when my family went to the Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm on the big island of Hawaii. My husband (who is very big on hobbies) pointed out to me that I too could have my favorite animal as a pet and I laughed at him. The rest of my in laws backed him up and cajoled me into at least looking into it.

So I did.

A lot.

I don't know how many threads I've read, how many BRS and other influencer videos I've watched and bookmarks I've hoarded.

Several months later, I gathered my arguments and lists upon lists and told him that he is not wrong but its going to be expensive, a ton of work and 3 week vacations won't happen anymore. Obviously he agreed and then I shelved my lists for a couple months to see if it was a fleeting idea and here I am 11 months later.

But enough about the boring stuff, we all know you are here for the gear lists. My husband talked me down from a Cade S2 1200 to Red Sea E-170 to learn on and then I can upgrade to the Cade later. My accessories are the Tunze 3155 ATO, a heater, an MP10 pump and that all important battery backup. The in laws have been hit with the weirdest christmas wishlist to round out the rest of the necessary accoutrements and testing supplies. I did manage to score 80 pounds of Fiji rock from FB Marketplace a few months back which was awesome.

Of course I will make a proper build thread once everything is finalized because I must pay it forward to all the future people who will lurk until they make that decision to throw money out a window.

This is sacrilege I'm sure, but I don't plan on extensive coral keeping as I'm a sucker for those beautiful macroalgae and gorgonian tanks.

Don't worry, I won't be attempting to keep any seahorses until at least 1 year of stable AIO and then an additional year or two of larger tank stability. I am not willing to sacrifice those fragile fish upon the altar of my newbie stupidity.

Now hit me with all those welcome gifs!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking on this forum since January and I'm finally ready to begin my saltwater journey. I'm absolutely terrified and I feel that I know way to many things but at the same time, know nothing at all. The first steps of my journey began in January when my family went to the Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm on the big island of Hawaii. My husband (who is very big on hobbies) pointed out to me that I too could have my favorite animal as a pet and I laughed at him. The rest of my in laws backed him up and cajoled me into at least looking into it.

So I did.

A lot.

I don't know how many threads I've read, how many BRS and other influencer videos I've watched and bookmarks I've hoarded.

Several months later, I gathered my arguments and lists upon lists and told him that he is not wrong but its going to be expensive, a ton of work and 3 week vacations won't happen anymore. Obviously he agreed and then I shelved my lists for a couple months to see if it was a fleeting idea and here I am 11 months later.

But enough about the boring stuff, we all know you are here for the gear lists. My husband talked me down from a Cade S2 1200 to Red Sea E-170 to learn on and then I can upgrade to the Cade later. My accessories are the Tunze 3155 ATO, a heater, an MP10 pump and that all important battery backup. The in laws have been hit with the weirdest christmas wishlist to round out the rest of the necessary accoutrements and testing supplies. I did manage to score 80 pounds of Fiji rock from FB Marketplace a few months back which was awesome.

Of course I will make a proper build thread once everything is finalized because I must pay it forward to all the future people who will lurk until they make that decision to throw money out a window.

This is sacrilege I'm sure, but I don't plan on extensive coral keeping as I'm a sucker for those beautiful macroalgae and gorgonian tanks.

Don't worry, I won't be attempting to keep any seahorses until at least 1 year of stable AIO and then an additional year or two of larger tank stability. I am not willing to sacrifice those fragile fish upon the altar of my newbie stupidity.

Now hit me with all those welcome gifs!

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Very excited you are already considering starting your build thread! I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). You likely know above is perfect to get started, just copy it to new thread in Forum > Member Aquariums area. I **LOVE** macroalgae and gorgonians too!! Your future sea horses will appreciate all the thought and planning you have been putting in.

This might help you find people local to you in Sacramento:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back