OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered about 60 lbs dry rock and I was hoping to use Splash Zone (because I already have a bunch) to put it together and create an Aquascape. I should mention this is a completely new tank with no water yet. So I'll have time to let it cure and dry completely. I read on another forum that it was ok. This person said they work at SeaWorld and use the stuff there all the time to attach frags and rocks. Anyone have any experience with splash zone? Also, in this case should I begin an entirely new thread???

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more suggestion for that fluval. Have an extra set of gaskets on hand just in case. I had some gaskets go bad about 4 months ago and had to shut my filter down for 2 days. ;NailbitingI was waiting on new ones from amazon.;Facepalm It seems places carry the filter but not the parts.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've decided to install a sump and drill my tank. It seems the more I read about this, the more I feel that I'll be doing this down the road anyway and regret not doing it from the beginning. Can anyone tell me what size overflow I should go with a 60 gallon tank???

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that. And what about the return? I found one on amazon but they "suggest" a 3/4 inch return bulkhead. Is that typical???

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so its been a month and I now have water in the tank. Doing a fishless cycle... ANY INPUT/SUGGESTIONS?

I have dosed with DR Tims ammonia and his one and only bacteria three days ago.

Ammonia was zero today, but nitrites were at the max 5PPM with the API test kit

Dr Tim says to do a watewr change to reduce nitrites to below 5 or I will stall the cycle, but ive read on here that theres no need to even measure nitrites during a cycle

I just wanna know if I should change water or be patient... And I wanna know NOW! LOL just kidding

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use any lr rock to seed the tank. It would speed up the cycle.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry carib sea life rock and one piece of Tonga shelf dry rock. So no o didn't buy any live rock

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use any lr rock to seed the tank. It would speed up the cycle.
I went to two LFS by me and their "live rock" weren't exactly what I thought they should be. they were just piled up rock in water with no signs of life or bacteria. Not that I know what to look for but one of the employees actually told me not to buy their rock to seed my rock...

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying live rock from a LFS is a gamble anyways. You never know what is in it. I bought a beautiful piece from a guy I go to all the time with no signs of aiptaisia on it. 3 weeks later it showed it's ugly head. From then on it was a battle

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient, don't make any water changes.
Do top off for evaporation with fresh (non-salt) water.
Drop the API test kits (unreliable) and get something like Salifert.
Did you drill the tank at the end? Do you have a sump now?

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so its been a month and I now have water in the tank. Doing a fishless cycle... ANY INPUT/SUGGESTIONS?

I have dosed with DR Tims ammonia and his one and only bacteria three days ago.

Dr Tim says to do a watewr change to reduce nitrites to below 5 or I will stall the cycle, but ive read on here that theres no need to even measure nitrites during a cycle

I just wanna know if I should change water or be patient... And I wanna know NOW! LOL just kidding

Snyder, I use the same DR.Tim Bacteria and ammonia to cycle my tank. First, get a Salifert test kit for Nitrite and Nitrates. API didn't give me an accurate results. Few members here give me the advice to use Salifert and is good. Also what help me with the ammnia to check was the Seachem Ammonia batch. I have one on my DT and one on my QT. Do not dose more than once ammonia, the bacteria will work with the first dose and you will see an increase on Nitrites and then when the Nitrates get to zero you will see and increase on Nitrates, then you can do a 10% water change and add one fish only. Also, to keep the balance with the bacteria, you can add a dose of Stability. I got mine cycled in 3 weeks but I wait another week to add fish.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snyder, I use the same DR.Tim Bacteria and ammonia to cycle my tank. First, get a Salifert test kit for Nitrite and Nitrates. API didn't give me an accurate results. Few members here give me the advice to use Salifert and is good. Also what help me with the ammnia to check was the Seachem Ammonia batch. I have one on my DT and one on my QT. Do not dose more than once ammonia, the bacteria will work with the first dose and you will see an increase on Nitrites and then when the Nitrates get to zero you will see and increase on Nitrates, then you can do a 10% water change and add one fish only. Also, to keep the balance with the bacteria, you can add a dose of Stability. I got mine cycled in 3 weeks but I wait another week to add fish.
Thanks will do. Add the one fish before CUC?

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient, don't make any water changes.
Do top off for evaporation with fresh (non-salt) water.
Drop the API test kits (unreliable) and get something like Salifert.
Did you drill the tank at the end? Do you have a sump now?
Yes I did. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner! I only get notifications for a couple threads. I just installed the R2R app. Anyways I found a used eshopps RS100 and I set up a QT tank for a pair of clownfish. So far so good. I'm loving this! I wanna try and use this forum more cause MOST of what I've learned thus far has been from reading everyone else's experiences... [emoji106]

acabgd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very good course of action but don't skip on asking questions when something's not clear.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank.
20180204_083557.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back