Newbie Here! First Saltwater Aquarium

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks will do. Add the one fish before CUC?
You can add a small CUC when you get your first fish but make sure you quarantine that fish first. I setup and cycled my QT and DT at the same time, so both tanks was ready in about 3 weeks and then I add put two clowns and a firefish to QT while I give more time to the DT to be ready. Then I put a couple of snails and hermit crap to start working on some diatom that start growing on my DT and they did a great job on it. Everything when good and I have those fish already on my DT. I add later a emerald crab that is amazing how it clean.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a small CUC when you get your first fish but make sure you quarantine that fish first. I setup and cycled my QT and DT at the same time, so both tanks was ready in about 3 weeks and then I add put two clowns and a firefish to QT while I give more time to the DT to be ready. Then I put a couple of snails and hermit crap to start working on some diatom that start growing on my DT and they did a great job on it. Everything when good and I have those fish already on my DT. I add later a emerald crab that is amazing how it clean.
Thanks. I have two clownfish in quarantine for almost 4 weeks now. I almost didn't set up a QT tank. I'm glad I did. It was a GREAT excuse to upgrade my daughter's 20 gallon to a 40 and use her 20 for QT!
[emoji12]

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I keep a snail or something in the QT (so long as I'm not medicating) to eat the algae that's starting to grow??

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I was in your place first of the year. Freshwater for years and a small stint in fish only salt. Best advice is follow some of the builds on here and watch the BRS videos. 52 weeks of videos...pick and choose the ones that fit.

Edit: Ha...just saw where you joined before me. Pays to read all of the posts.

OP
OP
Snyder1456

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I was in your place first of the year. Freshwater for years and a small stint in fish only salt. Best advice is follow some of the builds on here and watch the BRS videos. 52 weeks of videos...pick and choose the ones that fit.

Edit: Ha...just saw where you joined before me. Pays to read all of the posts.
Thanks for the advice. I've been watching videos on my breaks at work!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back