Newbie mistake! Need help!!

MJReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, newbie here and did a blunder. someone want to rehome their two naso tang, one medium blue tang and a large sailfin tang immediately. So I took them and put in my new 210 gallon tank with 50 gallon sump, dry purple life rock and live sand. Added fritz 9000 16 oz the same day and added prime to make sure there is no ammonia spike.

After three days, sailfin had ich like symptoms so I added copper 1.5ppm. Ick is gone in two days and he is doing fine and eating good. The problem is my tank is not cycled after 10 days. even after adding the fritz 9000 twice.(800 gallon equivalent)

I read that copper will kill benificial bacteria. How do I remove copper from my tank?

I know I rushed. It was my fault. I just need some help to get this fixed.

Parameters:

10/08
Ph
Ammonia - 0.4
Nitrite - 0.5
Nitrate - 2
Added fritz 16oz

10/10
Ammonia - 0.4
Nitrite - 0.5
Nitrate - 2
Ph- 8.33

10/11
Ammonia - 0.4
Nitrite - 0.5
Nitrate - 2
Ph- 8.32

10/12
Ammonia - 0.4
Nitrite - 0.5
Nitrate - 2
Ph- 8.32

10/13
Ammonia - 1.2
Nitrite - 1
Nitrate - 2
Ph- 8.32

10/14
Ammonia - 0.2
Nitrite - 0.1
Nitrate - 5
Ph- 8.32
Added Fritz

10/15
Ammonia - 0.2
Nitrite - 0.2
Nitrate - 2
Ph- 8.32

10/16
Ammonia - 0.2
Nitrite - 0.2
Nitrate - 5
Ph- 8.32

Thanks!

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No copper will not kill bacteria. How else would we cycle a qt? Your cycle is just stalling. Maybe some more bottled bac and time will help. My 60g qt took a month to cycle without fish. Just takes time

Nikolai_VN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like your ammonia and nitrite/nitrate are being to move, it mean that your bacter is working slowly.
I dont know if copper could do any harm to bacteria, but if you want to remove it just use Activated Carbon. It will absorb copper and other metalic compound in your med. And you need to do a water change, maybe 20-30%.
Next time, dont ever put any meds into your main tank in any circumstances, use separate tank to quarantine.
Hope you and your fish the best.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper can kill bacteria
Anyways I would be most worried about Copper leaching out off the rocks and sand forever.
Also 2 or 10 days even of Copper Is not long enough! The copper kills the ich but not the ich eggs they will hatch and reinfect your fish

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days of copper is not long enough, the ich will have layed eggs which will hatch soon. Also most of you clean up crew will not tolarate copper.

OP
OP
M

MJReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’ll
No copper will not kill bacteria. How else would we cycle a qt? Your cycle is just stalling. Maybe some more bottled bac and time will help. My 60g qt took a month to cycle without fish. Just takes time
thanks. I already added 32oz of fritz 9000. Equivalent for 800 gallons.

OP
OP
M

MJReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days of copper is not long enough, the ich will have layed eggs which will hatch soon. Also most of you clean up crew will not tolarate copper.
Shall I remove copper using water change and add garlic medication?

OP
OP
M

MJReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use cuprisorb to remove the copper. Are you planning on keeping corals in this tank in the future?
Thanks. I’ll get cuprisorb. Yes I’m planning to keep corals as well. Mainly lps and softies

OP
OP
M

MJReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like your ammonia and nitrite/nitrate are being to move, it mean that your bacter is working slowly.
I dont know if copper could do any harm to bacteria, but if you want to remove it just use Activated Carbon. It will absorb copper and other metalic compound in your med. And you need to do a water change, maybe 20-30%.
Next time, dont ever put any meds into your main tank in any circumstances, use separate tank to quarantine.
Hope you and your fish the best.
Thanks I’ll keep that in mind.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shall I remove copper using water change and add garlic medication?
garlic wont kill Ich, might help manage it but won't kill it. Your best option at this point to not introduce further copper into your rock is to go hyposalinity.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes do water changes every 3 days till you get to 100% of your water volume.

We assume Ich is in your system now and that reminded me of the first time I got my blue tang. What I did was water changes in the begining then got an oversized UV sterilizer and set it up for parasite mode for management.

I haven't seen a sign of Ich since!

I formally believe all tank have Ich in them just in a dormant mode assuming the fish are healthy anything floating in the water the IV will take care of it.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes do water changes every 3 days till you get to 100% of your water volume.

We assume Ich is in your system now and that reminded me of the first time I got my blue tang. What I did was water changes in the begining then got an oversized UV sterilizer and set it up for parasite mode for management.

I haven't seen a sign of Ich since!

I formally believe all tank have Ich in them just in a dormant mode assuming the fish are healthy anything floating in the water the IV will take care of it.

Ich isn't magic, if you quarantine everything properly you won't. No reason for this guy not to nip it in the bud while he can. I would agree a lot of tanks probably do have some amount of ICH though.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ich isn't magic, if you quarantine everything properly you won't. No reason for this guy not to nip it in the bud while he can. I would agree a lot of tanks probably do have some amount of ICH though.
It's magic alright! I follow a sticker quarantine and my tang still showed symptoms of Ich after introducing him to the display tank. Go figure!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back