Newbie needs some help!

JuliaRuss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am a saltwater newbie: been running a fully cycled Fluval Evo for 2 months now. All equipment are stock.
The ph has not been super consist, but for the last two weeks it has been a steady 8.3. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate have been consistently at 0. Salinity has been steady at 1.025. Temp steady at 75.

current livestock include: one emerald crab, one peppermint shrimp, two Mexican turbo snails, one zoa frag, and one rainbow bubble tip anemone. There were two clown fish but after a month of battling with ich they both died. While I am letting the now fishless tank clear out of all ich, I would like to upgrade the lights and add more corals. But my other numbers have been worrisome to me. Mainly the KH is at zero for two weeks now. I do a one gallon water change (plus cleaning the sponge) every 2-3 days, and a 3 gallon water change every week. But here are the other numbers from last week to this week:

last week:
Mg: 1400
Ca: 360
KH: 0
PO4: 0.25

this week:
Mg: 1150
Ca: 485
KH: 0
PO4: 0.5

I am afraid to add any more corals since the numbers don’t seem to be a good support for healthy corals? Any idea why the elements are off and how I can fix it? Thank you so very much!!!!!

Julia

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, and the reefing hobby!
First of all, your Alk can't be zero. Just by using a salt mix, you're going to have detectible levels of Alk. Get another test kit for alkalinity, or verify that you're using the one you have correctly. Most LFS will test your water for you if you bring in a sample.
Having Phosphate that high is not recommended. I generally try to stay under .1 You also want to have some Nitrates in there. Having some nitrates along with phosphate will be the best conditions for everything.
You said you have an anemone. It will want good lighting, along with dirty water (Nitrates). Also, let your tank mature some more, and stabilize, before you add any more corals.
Once your fallow period is over, get some fish in there to start pooping and monitor your levels. Maybe don't do water changes so much.
Good luck!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Julia to R2R! #WelcometoR2R

Test numbers don't look right. First off magnesium would not drop 1400 to 1150 in a week. Without demand, calcium wouldn't be changing that much. It just can't happen. And as stated, KH or alkalinity can NOT be zero. Even the lowest alk salt is in the mid 7 range, not to mention you have nothing in your tank consuming it. Softies do not need alk and calc. I would consider reviewing testing methods or potentially different test kits. I personally do not care for API test kits (if that is what you're using), and would pretty much recommend any other brand.

OP
OP
JuliaRuss

JuliaRuss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, guys! I use Saliferts’ test kits. Maybe I am not operating them correctly. I will redo or bring a sample to LFS! I appreciate your inputs!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back