Newbie: Overflow Water Level / Sump

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I've just finished to fill the tank but for some reason every time I turn on the Vectra the water level goes below the pump almost. I kept pouring water but now the sump is almost overflowing and there's nothing in the overflow box.

Just for reference my drain is 1 inch and my return 3/4.

Don't what to do at this point.

Pictures:

0vYHwig.jpg

2K6BnRL.jpg

H1RCcmp.jpg

Look the water level in the skimmer chamber. All other chambers are also like that. If I turn on the pump the water in the pump chamber will go down almost to the bottom.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that gate valve on your drain or on your return?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my return and is open. Full open
Why a gate valve on the return? And is that an anti drain back valve next do it? Dumb question but if you turn your pump on does it open? Is there actually water flowing in the display tank?

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why a gate valve on the return? And is that an anti drain back valve next do it? Dumb question but if you turn your pump on does it open? Is there actually water flowing in the display tank?

I didn't know it wasn't necessary. New to the hobby here. Yes next to it is a check valve. I don't see full open but there's definitely water coming out of the return line.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know it wasn't necessary. New to the hobby here. Yes next to it is a check valve. I don't see full open but is definitely water coming out of the return line.
No problem man, well help you get it figured out :) so there is actually water flowing out the return nozzle in the tank. So is water falling into the overflow and draining down into the sump?

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I remove both of them? I thought the check inline valve was to break siphoning

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem man, well help you get it figured out :) so there is actually water flowing out the return nozzle in the tank. So is water falling into the overflow and draining down into the sump?

Thanks a lot @crabs_mcjones

Yes there's water falling in there but not in a flow where the overflow gets to a high water level.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your gate valve on the return wide open? Have you tried valving it down to see what happens? Also, assuming you installed that check valve with the flap opening in the downward orientation?(Not a fan of check valves in general personally, but I know people run them horizontal, but vertical would be preferred.But you might be fine)

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which sump is that?

The sump is the Eshopps ADV-200

Is your gate valve on the return wide open? Have you tried valving it down to see what happens? Also, assuming you installed that check valve with the flap opening in the downward orientation?(Not a fan of check valves in general personally, but I know people run them horizontal, but vertical would be preferred.But you might be fine)

No I haven't yet. I simply was playing with the pump speed but nothing changes. If I turn on the pump the water level is gone and the other sections of the sump start to overfill. The check valve is respecting the flow in this case the arrow is pointing to the left. There's an arrow indicating the flow direction.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No I haven't yet. I simply was playing with the pump speed but nothing changes. If I turn on the pump the water level is gone and the other sections of the sump start to overfill. The check valve is respecting the flow in this case the arrow is pointing to the left. There's an arrow indicating the flow direction.
I would double check the gate valve and make sure the check valve is allowing water to flow in the correct direction. You've got some kind of blockage somewhere mate

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm not positive but I think this is one of the new E-Shopps ADV series stumps. There is a "carriage" that carries media in the inlet chamber. If that carriage isn`t in the sump in the correct orientation it dramatically restricts the flow through the sump. Try pulling it out and see if that helps with the water level in the return chamber and the pump pulling all of the water out.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's weird since I see water coming out from both lines =/
It may not be in the lines is there anything in the sump that is restricting flow from your filter sock or to the chamber the return pump is in?

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the power level u set on the Vectra, have u lower the power down? I use Vectra M1 and it’s feeding return line and media reactor and I only set it at 70%. My tank is 75 gallon redsea reefer 350

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The check valve isnt the issue. Water will flow through it. I only mentioned it because since you do have it horizontal, just ensure the flap is pointed downwards.
Im not familiar with Vectras( I run external Reeflos) but as mentioned I would attempt valving it down even on the lowest setting( I wasnt aware the Vectras had multiple settings) and see if that solves it. If not, and this may or may not be an issue, but Ive never seen anyone run a massive sheet of Enkamat/sponge in between a baffle like that. The baffles do look to have very little space between them. If it were me I would attempt restricting the Gate and/or running a smaller sheet of filter in between the baffles.It may or may not be the case that its restricting flow back to the return chamber. I do like your scape by the way.

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost positive now, that "media basket" is not in the sump correctly and the water is taking the path through the refugium and flow is greatly reduced. Focus your attention in the chamber to the back right of the sump, that is where your issue is.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm not positive but I think this is one of the new E-Shopps ADV series stumps. There is a "carriage" that carries media in the inlet chamber. If that carriage isn`t in the sump in the correct orientation it dramatically restricts the flow through the sump. Try pulling it out and see if that helps with the water level in the return chamber and the pump pulling all of the water out.

Dude you SAVED me. The cage was in the opposite side where the pass-through hole was. Now everything is moving. But was that supose to be that loud in the overflow box? If I put more water the water level in the sump will rise.

Or is it just removing the air bubbles?

Thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back