Newbie Post & My first build

RandomReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am just about ready to start up my first reef tank. I know this first time through will have plenty of ups/downs/unknowns, but am super excited, and look forward to learning in part through the more experience reefers out there.

My First Build

Short Version- There is none, sorry for the essay :)

Tank -
I decided to keep it simple with the Aquatop Recife 24g Eco AIO. I was very tempted to go for something like the Aquatop 170 but alas, the price point was too good to pass up.

The tank comes with an integrated fully actinic light, nano skimmer, filter sponge, and additional media compartments. The tank is ‘reef ready’ but it seems likely that upgrades/replacements will be needed sooner than later.

Light(s) - I have low expectations for the light and will likely upgrade. Also, potentially will be looking for a refugium light depending on what my filtration needs are.

Powerhead/Flowmakers - The included system is rated for 475 gph. Assuming this IS accurate, is this sufficient ? My expected inhabitants are listed below.

Skimmer -
I’m going to see what happens with the included skimmer, but based on other posts, I’m not expecting much and want to start shopping for a replacement. The skimmer slot is small (3x3 I believe) so I’m sure it will be fun finding an adequate replacement. Any suggestions?

‘Built in’ Filtration -
I’m not really sure what to think about the included sponge filter. It seems reasonable for a small tank as long as it is cleaned regularly. However, I’m curious as to what could be used in its place, whether in the same existing compartment or one of the others. Currently the sponge is in the first slot/tray, followed by the skimmer, then three smaller compartments. I’ll try to add a photo below.

I’m also curious if I can squeeze chaeto somewhere in the back compartment versus having a separate refugium. Since the first two slots are large/full length, it seems like this would be the place, or otherwise, maybe in the return pump ‘tray’/slot?

In terms of the (3) smaller trays, there’s one for carbon, one for phosphate/nitrate, and the third has some additional bio balls. it seems like there are a million options on what could/should be used in these trays. For cycling, I’m planning on using the bio filtration balls and leaving the other two slots empty, then from there, not really sure.

Filling the tank -

I was given 60ish pounds of CaribSea dry rock by my dad, who is also providing most of the guidance as I get started. I have one bag of live sand ready to go as well.

Now, some people are saying I should just start the cycle with the rock, and add the sand later. I’m not really fully understanding why, but will say that the rock does have some paper stuck to it. I feel like it makes more sense to do sand/rock/water all at once.

Water/cycling -
Dad is telling me to use filtered sea water, which one of my LFS does sell (I’m in south Florida), whereas the other LFS I have visited a few more times is saying I should use RO/DI. I think I’ll start with sea water for the trace elements but likely will use RO/DI for top offs and water changes.

Since the rock is dry, I’m assuming it will be in my best interest to dose with some Dr. Tim’s all in one. I’m in no rush to add fish but of course would like to speed up the process as much as possible.

Inhabitants -
I’m planning on doing two clowns and then whatever else catches my eye, plus some CUC, overall not expecting to add much and don’t want to overcrowd. Corals/anemone at some point as well, but likely will wait until I upgrade the light

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I don't know the tank you have so I can't really offer much but I will offer that I personally do not like filter sponges. They work fine but, for me, they are a problem. I don't really see the dirt in them and get lazy about cleaning them. I prefer filter floss because I find that I maintain them better than sponges. Filtered sea water is a good choice. It will have stuff you don't get in artificial mixes.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

skyjacker07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r, I’ve had this exact tank for almost 3 years now. I didn’t use the factory light, went with a prime. I still run the sponge and clean it weekly.
My factory skimmer didn’t work from the start, I already had a aquamaxx hob-1 so I installed and ran it. Yeah it’s over kill but pulls some good skimate. The ones who run a Refugium in the either do away with the 3 baskets and run it there, or pull the sponge and run it in that chamber.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back