Newbie reefer needs help to get started

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fellow Reefers,

I am new to this group and need advice on a new reef setup. First, a little background about me. I used to have five freshwater tanks ranging from 20 gallons to 120 gallons, had loads of fresh water fish, cichlids etc. Most of these were used equipment. I was really amazed by the reef tanks at that point, but couldn’t afford it. My interest in reef tanks got rekindled recently and am in a better position financially. Therefore, I joined the forums and started researching about reef tanks and started buying a few equipment In preparation of the tank.

My initial instinct was to go with a 40 gallon breeder tank. I bought about 40 lbs of dry rock and started curing it. I quickly realized that I might not be happy with a small tank and my wife doesn’t want multiple tanks. Therefore, my plans shifted towards one bigger tank. I started visiting the local fish shops for a reef ready tank, but couldn’t find one. However when I started looking around in the internet, I came across the below tank that seemed like good choice for me.

I have already purchased the following equipment from a fellow reefer on the forums and on my own

1) 40 gallon breeder tank
2) Fiji sump kit for 40 gallon breeder
3) Vee gee STX-3 refractometer
4) Eheim jagger heater 100w - 2
5) Hannah & API & Salifert test kits
6) Reef Octopus Varios 4
7) Aquamax Co-1 ConeS series protein skimmer
8) AI Prime 16HD with flex stand

Considering the equipment I have already purchased and want to reuse as much as possible. I would really appreciate your thoughts on the choice of the tank and the equipment. I am not sure whether the cost of the tank is a good deal or not. I am prepared to wait until Thanksgiving, if there is a decent chance, that I might find a better deal on a suitable tank or equipment.

I am also fine with going with a lower size tank, but dont want multiple tanks. If you have have any suggestions about what size tank would be good without being overwhelming, please let me know.

Any and all advice/suggestions that aid me in getting started with this reefing journey would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Im not sure if you are planning on getting a stand as well, but I would definitely add up the costs for all of the supplies listed and compare to some packages that some sites offer. Sometimes there is a discount for getting it bundled.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fellow Reefers,

I am new to this group and need advice on a new reef setup. First, a little background about me. I used to have five freshwater tanks ranging from 20 gallons to 120 gallons, had loads of fresh water fish, cichlids etc. Most of these were used equipment. I was really amazed by the reef tanks at that point, but couldn’t afford it. My interest in reef tanks got rekindled recently and am in a better position financially. Therefore, I joined the forums and started researching about reef tanks and started buying a few equipment In preparation of the tank.

My initial instinct was to go with a 40 gallon breeder tank. I bought about 40 lbs of dry rock and started curing it. I quickly realized that I might not be happy with a small tank and my wife doesn’t want multiple tanks. Therefore, my plans shifted towards one bigger tank. I started visiting the local fish shops for a reef ready tank, but couldn’t find one. However when I started looking around in the internet, I came across the below tank that seemed like good choice for me.

I have already purchased the following equipment from a fellow reefer on the forums and on my own

1) 40 gallon breeder tank
2) Fiji sump kit for 40 gallon breeder
3) Vee gee STX-3 refractometer
4) Eheim jagger heater 100w - 2
5) Hannah & API & Salifert test kits
6) Reef Octopus Varios 4
7) Aquamax Co-1 ConeS series protein skimmer
8) AI Prime 16HD with flex stand

Considering the equipment I have already purchased and want to reuse as much as possible. I would really appreciate your thoughts on the choice of the tank and the equipment. I am not sure whether the cost of the tank is a good deal or not. I am prepared to wait until Thanksgiving, if there is a decent chance, that I might find a better deal on a suitable tank or equipment.

I am also fine with going with a lower size tank, but dont want multiple tanks. If you have have any suggestions about what size tank would be good without being overwhelming, please let me know.

Any and all advice/suggestions that aid me in getting started with this reefing journey would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

This is a good reference book type article I still use:

You don't mention what you want to put IN your tank(s), so can't really advise about tank size. I would recommend watching craigslist, etc etc as you can often score an entire tank setup for about what you are looking to spend for just that new starfire tank mentioned in your thread (yes, even with its 'special' price - new is always pricey). Even some LFS by me have entire larger tank setups (tank, stand, cabinet, skimmer, 3 AI lights, more) for just a bit more - which yes does mean you would have duplicates that you'd need to sell off ... but then would that make the net cost of the tank FREE? - that is a price spouses like. Fortunately my BF indulges me and even has bought some of my pricier items for me (new larger chiller)

Good luck! There is no single right answer, but I have faith you'll find right path.

"start where you are, use what you have, do what you can." - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R. I would go with the biggest tank that will fit the space where you want to put it that is within budget. Just be aware that as the tank increases the cost of all of the equipment does with it. Ecspecially the cost of lighting if you plan on doing a reef tank and not just FOWLR.

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Im not sure if you are planning on getting a stand as well, but I would definitely add up the costs for all of the supplies listed and compare to some packages that some sites offer. Sometimes there is a discount for getting it bundled.
I am planning to build my own stand, based on the dimensions of the aquarium I get.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Sounds like your headed in the right direction, you should start a build thread when you get a chance, to really log down your progress long term! (All the cool kids are doing it, lol, you can even get a snazzy build thread badge under your name, :) )

OP
OP
P

pnchowdary

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined.

This is a good reference book type article I still use:

You don't mention what you want to put IN your tank(s), so can't really advise about tank size. I would recommend watching craigslist, etc etc as you can often score an entire tank setup for about what you are looking to spend for just that new starfire tank mentioned in your thread (yes, even with its 'special' price - new is always pricey). Even some LFS by me have entire larger tank setups (tank, stand, cabinet, skimmer, 3 AI lights, more) for just a bit more - which yes does mean you would have duplicates that you'd need to sell off ... but then would that make the net cost of the tank FREE? - that is a price spouses like. Fortunately my BF indulges me and even has bought some of my pricier items for me (new larger chiller)

Good luck! There is no single right answer, but I have faith you'll find right path.

"start where you are, use what you have, do what you can." - Arthur Ashe, tennis player

I plan to have a reef tank, first start with fish, soft corals and the graduate to hard corals later on.

I have visited all my local fish shops and looked for used tanks and new tanks around me. I couldn’t find a suitable one, that is why I started looking online. There seems to be some glass shortage, which is causing scarcity of new aquariums and increased price, as per my LFS. Thanks for the article. I will look into it.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to have a reef tank, first start with fish, soft corals and the graduate to hard corals later on.

I have visited all my local fish shops and looked for used tanks and new tanks around me. I couldn’t find a suitable one, that is why I started looking online. There seems to be some glass shortage, which is causing scarcity of new aquariums and increased price, as per my LFS. Thanks for the article. I will look into it.

Didn't mean to seem like that was a bad price on online tank - it seems good (didn't know there was overall increase, so good based on pre-supply chain craziness). I'm just a fan of buying used (because I have small budget) - you do you!

We will be cheering for you and your future tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back