Newbie Setting up my second tank!

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 24, 2022
Messages
66
Reaction score
100
Location
united States
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am currently getting all of my supplies to setup a new AIO tank.

it is one of the older 30 gallon Innovative marine cubes. There are 2 intake chambers on the left and right plus a single return pump outlet in the middle.
(I attached a photo of the closest thing I could find since my tank is not made anymore)

my question is; I currently have one media basket in the left intake and a protein skimmer in the right. I think I’m going to buy another media basket but can I put the protein skimmer above the return pump in the center chamber or will that cause issues?

I do have ATO so water level won’t be an issue but is there anything else that would cause issue? Or should my setup currently, with one media basket and one skimmer work?

F2A4423B-C7B5-4070-A786-0225EEFE9E85.jpeg
 
Hey all, I am currently getting all of my supplies to setup a new AIO tank.

it is one of the older 30 gallon Innovative marine cubes. There are 2 intake chambers on the left and right plus a single return pump outlet in the middle.
(I attached a photo of the closest thing I could find since my tank is not made anymore)

my question is; I currently have one media basket in the left intake and a protein skimmer in the right. I think I’m going to buy another media basket but can I put the protein skimmer above the return pump in the center chamber or will that cause issues?

I do have ATO so water level won’t be an issue but is there anything else that would cause issue? Or should my setup currently, with one media basket and one skimmer work?

F2A4423B-C7B5-4070-A786-0225EEFE9E85.jpeg
I would avoid putting the skimmer in the return chamber. Its not really the water level I would worry about, but all the bubbles. Your return pump will suck them up and blow them out all over the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new