Newbie to breeding

Drogon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I am new to the breeding game.
I have tried a few times with angelfish eggs and failed but this time I’m hoping to get it right.
I am looking to buy some freshly hatched baby brine shrimp as they are currently coming to the end of the wriggler stage.
is there anyone around the Chadderton/Oldham area and knows who hatch their own and sell them by any chance?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you talking about freshwater or saltwater angels?....

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have tried a few times with angelfish eggs and failed but this time I’m hoping to get it right.
I am looking to buy some freshly hatched baby brine shrimp as they are currently coming to the end of the wriggler stage.
is there anyone around the Chadderton/Oldham area and knows who hatch their own and sell them by any chance?
The reason I ask is if you're talking about saltwater angels - they would not eat baby brine shrimp. If you're talking about freshwater - you can get frozen baby brine shrimp online - or through your LFS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drogon

Drogon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. Yes they are freshwater. I got advised by my local shop to buy a packet of first bites but a friend advised the baby brine so not too sure?

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your reply. Yes they are freshwater. I got advised by my local shop to buy a packet of first bites but a friend advised the baby brine so not too sure?
They will eat frozen brine (baby) - and anything they can find. You can also use - something like frostbites - I would mix some up in a small cup - and then spray it into the fry crowd with an eye dropper... you can do it with frozen baby brine as well

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They will eat frozen brine (baby) - and anything they can find. You can also use - something like frostbites - I would mix some up in a small cup - and then spray it into the fry crowd with an eye dropper... you can do it with frozen baby brine as well
PS I assume you are leaving them with the parents - they will also chew up food and spit the small pieces to the fry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drogon

Drogon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your help. Will the first bites be ok or should I get some baby brine aswell?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would tend to get both. I have also finely ground flake food - so that the fry will eat that as well. To give a more varied diet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drogon

Drogon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have frozen brine shrimp for my adult angel fish. Could i grind this up small and feed my fry with it anyone??
Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drogon

Drogon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have frozen brine shrimp for my adult angel fish. Could i grind this up small and feed my fry with it anyone??

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,
I have done this - they will eat it - the question is - is that the best food for 'growth' and 'health' - try it - yes it will work - but they will grow faster and be healthier with a fry food IMO

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your help I will stick with fry food
I would try whatever they will eat. - But - try to keep it varied. I have ground up adult brine shrimp. I would try a number of things (some people use ground up egg yolk) - the key is keep the tank clean - watch the ammonia

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drogon

Drogon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again,
All my babies seem to just swim around the bottom of the tank one or two venture up to the top anyone got any ideas please?
Thanks
Andy

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi again,
All my babies seem to just swim around the bottom of the tank one or two venture up to the top anyone got any ideas please?
Thanks
Andy
How big is the tank? is the food floating to the bottom and they are eating? I would use a syringe to shoot the food into the group - being careful not to foul the water with too much food

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Drogon

Drogon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 40litre tank at the moment and yes they are eating food off the bottom but yes I have squirted a little into the groups.
Thanks

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back