Newbie Torch Question

csd99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a new torch coral that has been in my tank for about 2 full days with today being the third. I’ve noticed that it will open up fully in the morning when the lights first turn on and then after 4 hours or so it’ll start to close just enough to where the mouths are not visible. I was just wondering if this is totally normal or if I should maybe lower light? I imagine flow isn’t a culprit considering it opens up in the morning and even after the lights go out for a bit. Of note: it doesn’t close fully. It’s still 75% open. Based on a BRS investigated video I estimate it is at ~125 par (xr30 g4 @ 35% with diffuser running WWC AB+ 11 inches deep).

As for the tank age and parameters, this tank is an upgrade from a fluval 13.5 I had for a year. About a third of the rock I am currently using is from that fluval and is near fully covered in coralline. Two thirds of the rock is 3 weeks old.

NO3: 5ppm
Phos: Undetectable with salifert
Calc: 440
Mg: 1440
Alk: 7.4 (running tropic marin reef pro salt, considering dosing to raise to 8-8.5)

Thank you

IMG-4809.jpg IMG-4810.jpg IMG-4811.jpg

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks healthy. You can give it another day or two to acclimate. If nothing changes either try moving it to the bottom of the tank or lower lights a touch.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back