Newbie - Understanding Lights

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone. Newbie here.

I'm no where near ready to introduce beginner corals to my tank (40 gallon breeder) yet, however, I am, however, researching and trying to learn as much as possible in the interim. It seems the more I read the less I understand about lighting requirements.

My questions is, I have a practically brand new grow light that I used for a few weeks to grow starts for my garden. It's an LED light (1,000 watt) and I'm curious to know if this light will work in the future for coral or should I keep researching to find something else? If I can use the light, that would be nice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I will post a pic of the light below. Here are the "color" specs:

Giixer 1000W LED Grow Light, Dual Switch & Dual Chips Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Hydroponic Indoor Plants Veg and Flower-1000 watt ( 10W LEDs 100Pcs)​

Full Spectrum LED Grow Light​

Red (620-630nm ,655-660nm)

Blue (440-450nm, 450-460nm)

Orange (605-610nm)

White (300K-6500K)

White color include the other wave spectrum

light.png

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun researching lights. There are so many available it can be over whelming. Bad part is when you ask opinions there are more opinions than there are lights. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: What I try to do first is set a budget that I'm willing to spend and use that the help narrow things down. Oh and WELCOME ABOARD. There is a vast amount of knowledge here so feel free to ask away if you need help with anything.

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello, everyone. Newbie here.

I'm no where near ready to introduce beginner corals to my tank (40 gallon breeder) yet, however, I am, however, researching and trying to learn as much as possible in the interim. It seems the more I read the less I understand about lighting requirements.

My questions is, I have a practically brand new grow light that I used for a few weeks to grow starts for my garden. It's an LED light (1,000 watt) and I'm curious to know if this light will work in the future for coral or should I keep researching to find something else? If I can use the light, that would be nice. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I will post a pic of the light below. Here are the "color" specs:

Giixer 1000W LED Grow Light, Dual Switch & Dual Chips Full Spectrum LED Grow Light Hydroponic Indoor Plants Veg and Flower-1000 watt ( 10W LEDs 100Pcs)​

Full Spectrum LED Grow Light​

Red (620-630nm ,655-660nm)

Blue (440-450nm, 450-460nm)

Orange (605-610nm)

White (300K-6500K)

White color include the other wave spectrum

light.png
Would not recommend using this

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 I used for indoor starts. I run a Mars Hydro 3000 for main indoor gardening.
A black box with adjustable blue and white works and is cost friendly.
I would not use grow lights on a reef system.
Take a look at the 16hd. You can start with one and add as needed.
These will grow anything and look good mounted on the tanks rim.

You can find good deals here and on e-bay.

Their are so many options it can be confusing. Start with the right light and your ahead of the game from the begining.

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have fun researching lights. There are so many available it can be over whelming. Bad part is when you ask opinions there are more opinions than there are lights. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: What I try to do first is set a budget that I'm willing to spend and use that the help narrow things down. Oh and WELCOME ABOARD. There is a vast amount of knowledge here so feel free to ask away if you need help with anything.
Thank you so much for the advice and welcome. It IS overwhelming! Right now my tank is only about 4 months old (FOWLR). I have always wanted a saltwater tank but was too intimidated to try my hand at it. Few months ago I got a basic setup for my birthday and decided to try it out.
I regret that I started the bulk of my research while the tank was cycling with dry rock. I would have totally took more time with the rock design, etc.

I have two fancy clowns, 1 Banggai cardinal, & 1 Royal Gramma. In about another week, I’m adding 1 Blue Mandarin, and 1 Coral Beauty. That’s going to be it on fish for about a year. I have 5 blue legged hermit crabs and a couple of Trochus snails. I will add a few more snails as needed when there’s more algae.

No signs of coralline algae yet .

I would like to introduce a few beginner soft corals maybe over summer so I’m trying to gain as much knowledge as possible through here as well as some books that were recommended. I’m testing my water regularly (like every other day) and doing small weekly water changes.

I just went through my 2nd round of “the uglies” (diatoms) but they seem to have gone away for now. I’m running the Octo 1000 HOB skimmer and Seachem’s Tidal 75 HOB filter with Matrix, a 8 layer filter sponge that I cut to fit, purigen and Chemi Pure Blue.

I have a light hanging over the tank currently but it’s obviously only for aesthetic reasons. I know I will need to upgrade that when/if I start adding the coral. (I say “if” because it’s scary taking that next step). I’m willing to spend $180 - $200 for a good light that will work.

If I can maintain my tank at this size for at least 2 years, I will upgrade to a larger system with a sump and refugium.

I’m also currently trying learn how to culture copepods.

Yes, it’s a lot to learn and very overwhelming but satisfying and rewarding at the same time. I love it♥️

Current tank is below (I’m horrible when it comes to aquascaping. I had no idea what I was doing when I setup the tank for cycling).

Attachments

• 72887598-AD4F-4C74-983B-887B4BE87AD1.jpeg
    72887598-AD4F-4C74-983B-887B4BE87AD1.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 I used for indoor starts. I run a Mars Hydro 3000 for main indoor gardening.
A black box with adjustable blue and white works and is cost friendly.
I would not use grow lights on a reef system.
Take a look at the 16hd. You can start with one and add as needed.
These will grow anything and look good mounted on the tanks rim.

You can find good deals here and on e-bay.

Their are so many options it can be confusing. Start with the right light and your ahead of the game from the begining.
Thank you!!

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the advice and welcome. It IS overwhelming! Right now my tank is only about 4 months old (FOWLR). I have always wanted a saltwater tank but was too intimidated to try my hand at it. Few months ago I got a basic setup for my birthday and decided to try it out.
I regret that I started the bulk of my research while the tank was cycling with dry rock. I would have totally took more time with the rock design, etc.

I have two fancy clowns, 1 Banggai cardinal, & 1 Royal Gramma. In about another week, I’m adding 1 Blue Mandarin, and 1 Coral Beauty. That’s going to be it on fish for about a year. I have 5 blue legged hermit crabs and a couple of Trochus snails. I will add a few more snails as needed when there’s more algae.

I would like to introduce a few beginner soft corals maybe over summer so I’m trying to gain as much knowledge as possible through here as well as some books that were recommended. I’m testing my water regularly (like every other day) and doing small weekly water changes.

I just went through my 2nd round of “the uglies” (diatoms) but they seem to have gone away for now. I’m running the Octo 1000 HOB skimmer and Seachem’s Tidal 75 HOB filter with Matrix, a 8 layer filter sponge that I cut to fit, purigen and Chemi Pure Blue.

I have a light hanging over the tank currently but it’s obviously only for aesthetic reasons. I know I will need to upgrade that when/if I start adding the coral. (I say “if” because it’s scary taking that next step). I’m willing to spend $180 - $200 for a good light that will work.

If I can maintain my tank at this size for at least 2 years, I will upgrade to a larger system with a sump and refugium.

Yes, it’s a lot to learn and very overwhelming but satisfying and rewarding at the same time. I love it♥️

Current tank is below (I’m horrible when it comes to aquascaping. I had no idea what I was doing when I setup the tank for cycling).
Also, I made that screen on top from parts I got from Home Depot …it’s not pretty but it’s working out okay. The glass top didn’t work well with all the HOB equipment.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this! Actually part of another thread that is 1/2 scientific inquiry and 1/2 wwiii over whether or not you can use grow lights. If you want I can tag you in it and you can read through it.

I got a used aqua illumination t5 fixture locally for $75 and retrofitted it for a 20 long. The conclusion I came to on grow lights is that it can work if it has decent blues and is lower on the reds (too much red can inhibit photosynthesis). Blue light, then white full spectrum seemed to be the best options in one study quoted.

I am biased because heavy blues hurt my eyes, I currently have an ATI blue + and actinic in the back of the fixture and two warm 3000k whites in the front. Regular scrapings for film algae are required and I’m looking for something to replace it with on my new tank

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like you are off to a good start taking things slow and have patience which is a big plus in this hobby. This day and age of instant gratification just leads to problems and disappointments in reefing. You may want to take a look at Noopsyche lights. A k7 is just over $200 (code reef2reef used to get a 7% discount and may still work) I have 6 over my 180 gallon but one would be a good start on a 40g breeder and would be plenty for soft coral or even lps and sps if placed correctly . I also have ecotech radions and AI hydras (have 4 tanks running) but the noopsyche is the best bang for the buck IMO.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

if you want to change the rock work, right now would be a good time to do it before adding coral is better.
You'll find you might change it when you get coral as well. I've changed my aquascape lots throughout the build.

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are off to a good start taking things slow and have patience which is a big plus in this hobby. This day and age of instant gratification just leads to problems and disappointments in reefing. You may want to take a look at Noopsyche lights. A k7 is just over $200 (code reef2reef used to get a 7% discount and may still work) I have 6 over my 180 gallon but one would be a good start on a 40g breeder and would be plenty for soft coral or even lps and sps if placed correctly . I also have ecotech radions and AI hydras (have 4 tanks running) but the noopsyche is the best bang for the buck IMO.
I appreciate you! Thank you SO much! Checking out that light now!

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to change the rock work, right now would be a good time to do it before adding coral is better.
You'll find you might change it when you get coral as well. I've changed my aquascape lots throughout the build.
I'm thinking about it...problem is that I'm such a visual person, I really don't know how to arrange them yet because I can't picture how the coral will grow out in my head lol. :grinning-squinting-face: I do want to move them though, they are only stacked like that now because I was trying to bring them more central in order to get good water flow throughout the tank to prevent dead zones.

I see you guys' tanks on here and they are absolutely GORGEOUS! It's okay though...this is my first tank. It's a learning curve. Now when I upgrade in a couple of years, I'll have a little experience and will make sure I aquascape my butt off for that one. lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back