NEWBIE With lots of questions!

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a 10 gallon aquarium can work, but it isn't optimal for a beginner. Saltwater aquariums require a lot of attention in the beginning and if you mess up just a little it can be a disaster very fast with such a small aquarium. The smaller the tank the faster bad things will happen. So, more water = slower changes = more stable system = better for beginners. There is a popular YouTube video called "$146 Nano Reef..." by Inappropriate Reefer. He details his journey with a 10 gallon reef aquarium. It would be good to watch that series of videos. The price is probably closer to $300-$400 after the first year though.

My top advise is go slow and do your research... Then emulate somone else that has had success and you'll do fine.

Welcome btw :)

Great advice! Definitely like Inappropriate Reefer's videos ;)
For the video you watched, "topping off" refers to adding new RODI water to lower the salinity back to your desired values (1.021-1.026). Definitely do your research and patience is key!
Happy reefing and welcome to R2R!

giphy.gif

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Maria. Just to add, hopefully not too obvious, as well as RO water you will need salt. For a small tank you could buy RO water and salt water by the barrel from LFS. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! A lot of good resources shared above - good luck!

Clownfish.gif

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Maria from Kentucky!!! I'm Mike from Missouri... Welcome to Reef2reef and to the hobby!!! The aforementioned advice is great! All these folks here have tons of combined knowledge of saltwater, it's critters, and what they need to survive. I will give you a heads up, they use alot of acronyms here... lol I'll give ya a breakdown of the more popular ones I see mostly...
Lfs=local fish store
Nems= anenomes
Sw= saltwater
Nsw=natural saltwater

Other members add to the list of anything I missed... But if you have a question or need help, feel free to message people or start a thread... Everyone is really helpful here...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 89 67.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back