NEWBIE With lots of questions!

mriley0902

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello My name is Maria Riley and I live around Louisville, KY. I just bought two bettas today for a 5 gallon tank but also have a 10 gallon tank that I want to start a small saltwater tank with. I know this is now an ideal aquarium size however I have to work with what I have. Since I am new I have a lot of question. Would just any 10 gallon filter work? I bought an Air Pump so do I still need a circulation pump? I watched a video that showed a man who started a 10 gallon tank and only used a hang on the back filter, crushed coral, LED light, 50 watt heater, circulation pump and dry and life rock and he was able to keep his tank clean with doing weekly changes about 50%. He said in his filter he used a chemi pure blue and a poly filter pad and that was it. He also talked about topping off with RO water...What is that? I Guess what I am trying to say is what all is required to start a 10 gallon tank and what do you recommend? I want to do a few corals and a clown fish or two. Thoughts?

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Ask away...

RO water is Reverse Osmosis water. We generally do RO water, and have this go through another filter to remove all the TDS (Total Dissolved Solids). You could use distilled water from WalMart.

A tank could be as simple as a heater, a sponge filter, air pump for the sponge filter, light.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would just any 10 gallon filter work?

Yes, a 10 gallon aquarium can work, but it isn't optimal for a beginner. Saltwater aquariums require a lot of attention in the beginning and if you mess up just a little it can be a disaster very fast with such a small aquarium. The smaller the tank the faster bad things will happen. So, more water = slower changes = more stable system = better for beginners. There is a popular YouTube video called "$146 Nano Reef..." by Inappropriate Reefer. He details his journey with a 10 gallon reef aquarium. It would be good to watch that series of videos. The price is probably closer to $300-$400 after the first year though.

My top advise is go slow and do your research... Then emulate somone else that has had success and you'll do fine.

Welcome btw :)

GravaD Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I would also recommend the BRS 52 weeks of reefing series, it’s how I got my start.

As some basic recommendations:
- an air stone/sponge filter is not typically used for saltwater but have been proven successful on the smaller pico tanks <5 gal.
- a hang on back filter will work well for a small 10 gallon system with regular filter cleaning and some granular carbon. The AquaClear series are pretty popular and there are some good diy mods out there if your interested.
- there are also some smaller in tank or hang on back skimmers available for nutrient removal but that’s not necessary

If you want coral you will also need
- flow, which is always good in a salt tank, especially if you plan on having any corals
- also if you want corals you will need to invest in some good lighting (coral selection will determine how strong).
- basic nutrient testing of nitrate and phosphate is always good.
- if you want hard corals (LPS/SPS) you will also need to test alkalinity, calcium and magnesium.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun..
i would recommend whisper dual hob filter can have poly and put whatever you need into cartridges,and sm powerhead for flow,not big on airstone in sw,start a build thread so we can help along the way ,don't be afraid to ask all the questions you want ;) :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome to the R2R family !!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

• A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Neither.

• Other.

Back