Newbies looking to tank for life!

rafa1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
My wife & myself are brand new to the hobby. Started with a tiny fresh water tank, looking to expand into a 100g salt water over the next couple months. We’re starting off by watching the 5 minute series from BRStv. Our goal is to start a tank that becomes self sustainable (able to trade/sell of some frags to reinvest into tank stuff) and is something we can pass to our children eventually. (Should they choose to accept.) Our daughter loves fish & we hope to raise her to appreciate and love the earth & its creatures. We’re thinking about making most of our purchases on Black Friday. We have so much to learn & can’t wait to get our tank started. Hope to meet other Texas enthusiasts to share the love of the hobby!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
My wife & myself are brand new to the hobby. Started with a tiny fresh water tank, looking to expand into a 100g salt water over the next couple months. We’re starting off by watching the 5 minute series from BRStv. Our goal is to start a tank that becomes self sustainable (able to trade/sell of some frags to reinvest into tank stuff) and is something we can pass to our children eventually. (Should they choose to accept.) Our daughter loves fish & we hope to raise her to appreciate and love the earth & its creatures. We’re thinking about making most of our purchases on Black Friday. We have so much to learn & can’t wait to get our tank started. Hope to meet other Texas enthusiasts to share the love of the hobby!
Welcome to R2R! Good luck with your reefing adventures!

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to Reef2Reef, that was the best decision you could make when starting a reef tank. The people here are so BEYOND helpful, with a wealth of knowledge.

Second, you are right in line with what you should be doing. Study study study and do as much research as you can before jumping in.

Here are some pieces of advice i would have given myself years ago when i started.

1. Do NOT rush - Nothing good in this hobby happens fast
  2. QT every Fish - This will save you a lot of money and headaches
  3. Buy the best equipment you can afford - you do get what you pay for in this hobby
  4. Dip every coral before entering into your tank
  5. Do not overstock your tank, Less is more when it comes to fish
  6. Dont take anyone persons word as law - ask around and make sound decisions
  7. There is always exceptions to the rules, but follow the rules for less headaches
  8. Again i cant stress this enough - DON'T RUSH!

I hope this helps as you kick off your amazing adventure into the saltwater reef world.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back