Next step filtration - thinking longer term...

Ready4Launch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125 is recently up and running. Stocked for just about a week now.

In the sump, I've got the following:

Filter sock
Protein skimmer
Live rock
Black filter sponge
GFO/Carbon reactor

Adding this coming weekend a biopellet reactor.

After that, what is going to be the best bang for the buck, or what is going to have the best and greatest effect on tank health/clarity? UV sterilizer??

New to all this.
f88bc4131d1b0ec0a8b8f96f80703363.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 125 is recently up and running. Stocked for just about a week now.

In the sump, I've got the following:

Filter sock
Protein skimmer
Live rock
Black filter sponge
GFO/Carbon reactor

Adding this coming weekend a biopellet reactor.

After that, what is going to be the best bang for the buck, or what is going to have the best and greatest effect on tank health/clarity? UV sterilizer??

New to all this.
f88bc4131d1b0ec0a8b8f96f80703363.jpg

I would consider a refugium or algae turf scrubber depending on your space available. Either way I would run with the lights opposite to the display. You get the benefits of organic and inorganic nutrient removal (as opposed to just organics from the skimmer) and less nighttime pH fluctuation. You also get a safe place for pods and other critters to propagate as well as other benefits from the macro/microalgae such as the removal of metals. It has been suspected these algae types have other benefits not fully understood. Just my opinion. You may not need either until you find you need the nutrient removal.

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of folk that do not like UV sterilizers for one reason or another, but I personally am not in that camp. I like having a UV on my system. It helps keep water clear for sure. I know it is supposed to help with parasite outbreaks as well (not eradicate them but help). I'm not concerned with that since all my fish were properly QT'd and I have no ich, etc. to worry about.

So I would add a UV sterilizer for sure, but that's just me. If you have an Apex and do not want to run it 24x7, you can always have it scheduled to run a few days during the week.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back