NFG protocol

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I've got NFG coming in soon and would like to know what's the treatment protocol.
I never used it before, and would like to treat a purple tang once the kanaplex treatment ends.
Thanks

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons every 24 hours with a 25% water change before each treatment. Treat for 10- 14 days.

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im treating in a 40 liters tank..
How much mg is 1/8 teaspoon? I've got an analytic scale

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im treating in a 40 liters tank..
How much mg is 1/8 teaspoon? I've got an analytic scale

You’d have to measure it out yourself, or find the chemical formula and do the math. Since it’s a combination of drugs, that won’t be too accurate though.

Only way is to weigh an 1/8th of a spoon. I have nfg and a scale, I could do it for you, but I also have a 6 month old baby and a sick 2.5 year old at home while wife is out of town for work

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just weighed 1/8 tsp. 643mg on my scale

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quality of the water and especially the O2 levels will drop low enough to hamper the fish's immune system from healing quickly.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quality of the water and especially the O2 levels will drop low enough to hamper the fish's immune system from healing quickly.
Agree. Good advice. NFG is a fantastic drug!

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. I will try my best to do the water change every day. If I am unable tho and have to skip a dose because of that will the treatment still be effective

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like any antibiotic, you and your fish should always take the full dose. You run the risk of letting the disease rebound and then possibly becoming immune and less effective with less than the therapeutic level.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% WC every 48 hours is preferable to missing a dose. I just put a pink spot goby with a mouth injury through 11 days with that schedule in a 10g tank and her lip issues cleared up right around day 7. Kept going for full course though, as you should for anti- microbial medications.

Don’t skip doses, and if you can compensate by using a bigger tank, try to.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a point of knowledge- the half life for nitrofurazone is 5 hours. The water change is mainly to remove the methylene blue- which can cause problems as it builds up, since it doesn’t degrade very fast. Each dose of NFG pushes the methylene blue higher and higher - water changes keeps it in check

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% WC every 48 hours is preferable to missing a dose. I just put a pink spot goby with a mouth injury through 11 days with that schedule in a 10g tank and her lip issues cleared up right around day 7. Kept going for full course though, as you should for anti- microbial medications.

Don’t skip doses, and if you can compensate by using a bigger tank, try to.
Ok I should be able to handle that if not every day. One more question.. I work varying shifts so I'm not going to be home to dose at the same time every day, should I make sure there's been at least 24 hours between doses or not go over 24 hours?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I should be able to handle that if not every day. One more question.. I work varying shifts so I'm not going to be home to dose at the same time every day, should I make sure there's been at least 24 hours between doses or not go over 24 hours?

With the half life being 5 ish hours you could dose maybe up to 5-6 hours early one day, but I wouldn’t push it more than 26 hours to the next dose.

I feel comfortable saying that Based on experimental administration of similar half life drugs to lab mice as part of my job

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the half life being 5 ish hours you could dose maybe up to 5-6 hours early one day, but I wouldn’t push it more than 26 hours to the next dose.

I feel comfortable saying that Based on experimental administration of similar half life drugs to lab mice as part of my job
That will be tough..
If I decide I'm unable to do that and go with kanaplex/metroplex/furan-2 instead is it just as important to do the water change between each dose there? Is that roughly the same window as far as dosing on the same hour each time?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be tough..
If I decide I'm unable to do that and go with kanaplex/metroplex/furan-2 instead is it just as important to do the water change between each dose there? Is that roughly the same window as far as dosing on the same hour each time?

Dosing the ‘Trifecta’ is more work overall, in my opinion, and not as effective. Because your dosing three with different half life kinetics, dosing at the same time each day is a bit more important .

The pink spot goby I talked about had a 10 day course of Trifecta but still had the mouth infection. Only nfg cured it.

Here’s the schedule I used-

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dosing-the-trifecta.386582/

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at my schedule I would have one day where I would have to do the dose about 30 hours after the previous dose. I should be able to do all others between the window that u gave me. With this one late dose hurt anything?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at my schedule I would have one day where I would have to do the dose about 30 hours after the previous dose. I should be able to do all others between the window that u gave me. With this one late dose hurt anything?

That’s really no different to people dosing in the morning one day, then the evening the next. I’d guess there are a number of people that do that due to schedules.

It isn’t ideal, but 6 hours late is better than missing it entirely. If it’s that one dose, it’s unlikely to be a problem.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back