Nice color chan in acan

  • Thread starter Thread starter John3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,301
Reaction score
1,314
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked this acan up as a single head. At the time it was totally purple. After having it in my tank for a while some very nice green developed in it. It grew to maybe 7-8 heads and grew down the side and under the frag plug it was on. So I couldn’t really glue it in like that. So I fragged it into 3 pieces and gave 2 away.

The interesting thing is that the one I kept has now developed some really nice red stripping to it. I wonder if it originally looked like this and the color faded away or what. Before and current pics below.

BA86BE6D-00B8-4D62-BEC1-5720A087A766.jpeg


5DC26ACC-148F-4A0D-B6DA-580F0E17B356.jpeg
 
Acans contain Clade D fluorescent proteins that are known to transition from green to red when exposed to ultraviolet/violet light. I think the purple color was actually a red protein that mixed with another color, possibly green. It's difficult that to diagnose, as researchers found a Favia to contain over 20 fluorescent proteins and environmental conditions could cause one or more proteins to shift colors. Whatever the case, beautiful!
 
Acans contain Clade D fluorescent proteins that are known to transition from green to red when exposed to ultraviolet/violet light. I think the purple color was actually a red protein that mixed with another color, possibly green. It's difficult that to diagnose, as researchers found a Favia to contain over 20 fluorescent proteins and environmental conditions could cause one or more proteins to shift colors. Whatever the case, beautiful!

Interesting, I’m running the AB+ schedule on a Radion G4 which is blue/violet/UV at 100%. I’m hoping the color stays.

Thanks, John
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new