Nick's 300gallon in wall renovation.

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after a lot of planning and a whole lot of slacking I finally started my 300 gallon renovations.

Tank is Marineland deep dimmension 300 gallon 72x36x27 Its been in wall for about a year and a half now and I have been wanting to dress it in stone for almost as long. I have finally almost finished the exterior. I am just waiting for the 3 custom doors for the top access to be delivered. I ordered them unfinished in red oak so I can poly coat them to match the trim at the bottom that was also unfinished red oak. I will be continuing the rock on the wall to the left of the tank so the entire wall will match the tank. I am also going to be doing my aquascape all over again. Thats not going to be a small project but since this is my dream tank I want it to be done right. I am going to open the aquascape and have less rock and more open space.
Heres the specs on the tank

300 gallon starfire front panel in wall.
120 gallon sump
60 gallon fuge
60 gallon rimless starfire LPS tank lit by ATI 8x36 T5
3 400w Radium 20k in Lumenbright reflectors
2 80w T5 ATI Blue Plus
3 Lumatec 250 to 400w dimmable ballasts
Reef Octopus Hurricone Category 2 external skimmer
Reeflo Blackfin 3600 return
Vertex RX6 Duo Calcium Reactor
Custom Kalk reactor
2 ReefKeeper Lite controllers
2 300w heaters
2 Tunze 6100's and 2 6105's on Tunze 7095 multicontroller

Here it is when first being built

tanknew020.jpg

tanknew019.jpg

Coming along................................

totm138.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1794-1.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_0698-1.jpg

Too Crowded look from before. I never was happy with the overcrowded look of the tank. I have thinned out some stuff like birdnests etc already, but it still doesn't make me happy so I am going to open things up and do up the rock the way I always wanted too. I will post pics when its done but it will be a while as its going to be a big project.
211.jpg

198.jpg

I will post new pics when I redo the aquascape, I will need to thin out some of the corals I no longer want to keep only the ones I love and have minimal rockwork. Stay tuned................................

Last edited:

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering where you were - hadn't seen you around lately. I love the stonework! Did you use the real stuff of one of the many composite materials available? Either way, it looks phenomenal. I can't wait to see what you do with the aquascaping. I can sympathize with the major undertaking but it's such a rewarding thing once it's done the way YOU want it. The more open scape will give the tank more "depth" and will make all of those nice acro colonies really pop.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol I was just going to bring back your old thread and ask for some pic's...lol...any updated pic's of that frag tank...I am think of doing something similar in size and rimless like yours...BTW I am a big fan of you tank, please keep us updated it is truly awesome!!!

OP
OP
nicks387

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering where you were - hadn't seen you around lately. I love the stonework! Did you use the real stuff of one of the many composite materials available? Either way, it looks phenomenal. I can't wait to see what you do with the aquascaping. I can sympathize with the major undertaking but it's such a rewarding thing once it's done the way YOU want it. The more open scape will give the tank more "depth" and will make all of those nice acro colonies really pop.

Hey Craig, I have been around, just been too busy lately. Its actually a composite stone, Its called airstone, Its made with concrete and air to keep it lighter than stone. Its still done like tile and is about half inch thick, piece by piece. I had to cut and try and mix up the pieces as much as possible. Your tanks aquascape is what inspired me actually. I love the rockwork you did on the outside of your tank as well, but I didn't want to copy your whole setup. Lol.

OP
OP
nicks387

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer831, Thanks for the kind words. I will post pics of the frag tank tommorow, I have to put the boys to bed.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is a nice tank and a lot of yellow tangs. I bet that tank is always busy. Lol

OP
OP
nicks387

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yes it is busy. I have 7 yellow tangs. I had 1 big one, and bought the 6 small ones at the same time. I was worried how the large one would react but when I put the other 6 in they all bunched up around her like it was thier long lost mother. It was so funny, she was trying to swim away and they all followed her around in a school. They look awesome when they school up. I thought it would be alot but they get along fine and seem to love being together. I love alot of fish in an sps tank since you don't have alot of movement in the corals, so its nice to have the fish bring it to life. They are the main attraction when I have visitors.

OP
OP
nicks387

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a 3 and a 4 year old, both boys, and they will not go to bed unless I do. I have to at least act like I am going to bed to get them in thier rooms and in bed.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it man, looking forward to the new aquascaping. The rock wall added a whole nother level of nice to an already nice tank.

nvfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great nick. was just thinking about you the other day my acros got hit pretty bad when i moved lost another bucket full, and I lost my prize piece the Nicks Bubble gum milli :sad:

hopefully u can get the aquascape together quick and I can get some ideas while I build my tank back up

OP
OP
nicks387

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that Marcus, Its funny, alot of people have been losing that one lately, Including myself. Lol. I managed to get a nice chunk of it back from my lfs. Its good to spread the love on a piece like that so when you lose it you can get it back. Thats such a nice acro. One of my all time favorites. It can be finicky, but when its happy, its the hottest pink mille with bright baby blue tips. Not many I have seen in person compare to it. I will let you know when mine is big enough to frag again.

Your new tank is looking good by the way. Great upgrade. Hit me up when you want some new stuff, you know I got you covered.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is crazy awesome buddy! I see a Reef Spotlight!!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and the stone looks phenomenal!

nvfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool bro I let you know when I get everything stable again.

Its weird the acros that I dont really care for in the same tank seam to be doing fine anything with a name and color seems the be receding
seems to always work this way

This time around I am only putting stuff that I really want and like in the tank Hate to have a gaint monti or acro taking up all the space and I cent anyone to even take cheap frags of it.

D2TW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what an amazing tank. That brick look really makes the tank pop. Great looking reef too.

Back