OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't moved a single coral. Will be good to see their growth progress. If you don't see the coral in the previous picture, it either died or I took it out.

September 2, 2020.
_Z7D7173.jpg

Feburary 27, 2021.
_Z7D8773.jpg

07/01/2021
_Z7D0244.jpg

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man your tanks looking amazing! I need to get my tank in order. What program are you using for your lights? It looks so crisp and clean!

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the default 14K on the Radion G5 with 70% peak intensity.
Always clean the tank and prep it a couple days for the photo shoot. :)
If you clean your glass and then go take pictures, it’s not going to work out well. Whatever you scraped off on the glass is now in the water column. Your eyes might not be able to pick up because your brain can process the data and ignore it but your camera will have to get through all that layers in the water column. Depending on your filtering and turnover rate, it can take 24hrs for the crap in yhe water column to settle down. Then you’ll have to think about the regrowth of the film algae that you just scrapped off on the glass. The sweet spot for me is to scrape all the coraline and hard algae on the glass 24hrs before I do a serious photo shoot. Otherwise, it just not worth presenting. You have to remember people only see what you show.
My tank glass needs cleaning every 4-5days.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fair enough. I’m only getting 3x turn over on my 360, may need to bump those numbers up a little bit. My glass needs to be cleaned almost every 2-3 days

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably the same rate ballpark with the turnover.
I've removed the GFO then the carbon also. I'm only relying on my skimmer, refugium, and the UV as my primary filter. And of course, the liverocks. I tried to get as much liverocks as possible in the refugium, auxiliary tank, and in the sump.

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV has been an invaluable piece of equipment in my set up. What I learned 6 years ago was that it was the missing piece of the my reef puzzle. I like to have a lot of fish in the tank.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV has been an invaluable piece of equipment in my set up. What I learned 6 years ago was that it was the missing piece of the my reef puzzle. I like to have a lot of fish in the tank.
Which peice of the puzzle is it for you? Water clarity, algae control, disease control, or something else?

I'm using UV intermittently for water clarity and dino eradication

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which peice of the puzzle is it for you? Water clarity, algae control, disease control, or something else?

I'm using UV intermittently for water clarity and dino eradication

I don’t QT and I like to have a lot of fish. I had some very catastrophic failures in my early day of reefing. Something like losing a tank full of fish in a matter of a week.
But ever since I added the UV to the set up when I started the previous 365G build, my only fish loss is from fish biting each other’s head off.
The UV does come with a few other added benefits. Film algae is a little better on the glass, water is clearer, and a little bit of water heating(water heating up is beneficial for me here). I’ve stopped using carbon and couldn’t see any difference. GFO was taken offline as well since rhe refugium is doing enough to keep the nutrients to where I want.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT and I like to have a lot of fish. I had some very catastrophic failures in my early day of reefing. Something like losing a tank full of fish in a matter of a week.
But ever since I added the UV to the set up when I started the previous 365G build, my only fish loss is from fish biting each other’s head off.
The UV does come with a few other added benefits. Film algae is a little better on the glass, water is clearer, and a little bit of water heating(water heating up is beneficial for me here). I’ve stopped using carbon and couldn’t see any difference. GFO was taken offline as well since rhe refugium is doing enough to keep the nutrients to where I want.
How many watts of UV would you recommend for a tank out size?

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing tank, I love all the fish. I wish I knew how you handle tang aggression. I would love to add more to my tank. I'm just worried my Achilles would kill them. I agree with you on the UV, I have the same one and I love it.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looks great Nick. How are the two gigantea doing? What is your maintenance schedule like for that tank? Is it plumbed into your main display?

OP
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looks great Nick. How are the two gigantea doing? What is your maintenance schedule like for that tank? Is it plumbed into your main display?
The two giganteas are doing good. They're in their own tank that is plumbed to the main system. I put some bad behavior fish in the tank lol. These Kwazulu pair is causing some problem in the main tank to other wrasses. I'm planning on putting back in the main tank to keep them a second chance in a couple months. They're quite easy to trap so I'm not too worried if they're causing problems again in the main tank.
The two giganteas are really a sight to see. I wish I have the tank upstairs but that is not going to happen. So I come down every morning to feed the fish. Every month or so, I scrape the coraline in the front pane.
_Z7D0256.jpg
_Z7D0257.jpg
_Z7D0254.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back